Saturday, April 9, 2022

Ritorno al Lago di Como


If you recall, I returned from Lake Como last September, ecstatic about the experience.  My sister, our cousin, and I had rented a house for a week on the western shore of the lake, about three miles north of Menaggio.  I so enjoyed the house, the lake, the entire experience that I was determined to repeat it -- to repeat it, I said at first, "soon, but "soon" soon became, in my mind, this year, 2022.

Unfortunately, the agent who had rented us the house told us that the house was not available for rental in 2022, advice that was confirmed by another agent.  We tried finding another suitable rental, until I suddenly discovered an agent who did represent the house's owners -- and yes! the house was available.

Deposits were quickly paid, agreements were signed and voilá!  I found myself renting the house for not one, but two weeks in 2022.  In September, at exactly the same time as I had enjoyed it last year.  

I do try not to be too exuberant in my hopes, recalling Heraclitus's warning about stepping in the same river twice.

Renting was easy; finding the right occupants -- besides myself -- was more difficult.  I've finally assembled two groups, one for each week.  The first week will consist of a close friend from graduate school days, and his extended family.  Six persons, besides myself.  Possibly seven, if my friend's son is able to get away from work.

The second week will consist of myself, my sister, and various family members and friends from Sonoma.   Seven persons besides myself (with one of those persons still uncertain).

Both weeks will be quite a change, as far as occupancy goes, from our group of three in 2021.  But the house is reasonably spacious, and I think it will work out fine.

Our return to Lake Como is still five months away, of course, but it comes to mind now because I've just spent quite a bit of time lining up a hotel room in Milan for all of us First Week-ers, for the night before we jump on the train to Como city, and then transfer to the ferry from Como to Menaggio.  This exercise has not been as easy as anticipated.

Not only is our rental house in far greater demand this summer than last, but so are accommodations in Milan.  My sister reports that hotels she and our cousin rented in Milan last year are now going for three times the rental this year.  If any of my readers are thinking of European travel this season, they should be forewarned!

Not only are the rentals more expensive, but the rooms available are increasingly scarce.  I located a moderately priced hotel close to Milan's central railway station yesterday, and snapped  up the last three standard double rooms available.  We needed one more single room, and were forced to rent a double "deluxe" room for about $50 more than the others.  Lining up rooms acceptable to everyone has been a bit trying, but actually I've always enjoyed being a "travel agent."  

I also secured a single room for two nights, just for myself, after my two weeks at Lake Como were over, at a different but similar hotel; that passing of two weeks, taking us into the last week of September, made a big difference.  Rooms were cheaper and much more available, at least at that one hotel.

I'll just note, and probably will describe in more detail later, that getting to Milan at the appropriate time before we go to Como will be complicated for my friend and me, both of whom will be hiking for ten days in Scotland, a hike that will not be completed until very close to the day we have to be in Milan.  We are still trying to find an appropriate flight from Glasgow to Milan.

All a bit complicated, all wonderful, all keeping me excited in the months to come.  My readers will be subjected to additional details in the near future.                           

No comments: