Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Briefly, briefly, briefly


Putting aside any pretensions of profundity for the moment, let me give my vast audience of blogophiles -- that stalwart army of literati that sweeps out of the back lots of Hollywood, marches up the hills of western Colorado, and flies over the sea to the barracks of Stuttgart, Germany -- a down and dirty summary of recent events as seen up here in the Northwest Corner ...


  • The globe may be warming, but not so here in Seattle. We reached a balmy 79 yesterday -- mothers pulled small, scared children out of doors and showed them the Sun -- but quickly the thermometer reverted today to a breezy, cloudy disgruntling low 60's.
  • But the first of the season's cruise ships pulled into port, portending warmer days and summer tourist hordes soon to arrive. (I watched this Alaska-bound pride of the Celebrity Cruise line come lumbering slowly into Elliott Bay from my office window on Monday. My god, it looked like an ungainly white elephant walking across a mud puddle. Why the @#$%&@ can't we have cruise ships that look sleekly nautical and sea-worthy -- rather than hulks that resemble floating wedding cakes or maritime monuments to Wal-Mart?)
  • You read the blog (but you didn't comment on it!). You've begged for the update (but you begged in silence!). Ok, folks, I hear you! You asked for it! Here it is: Tomorrow the painter finally finishes his labors and leaves me alone -- alone and in peace, in my own house! A mere 32 days after he began, I'll actually be able to walk across a room without stepping into a paint bucket or slipping on a tarp. I'll be able to come home and not have to be pleasant to a trespasser. Friends and family, who have stood steadfastly beside me in spirit (but not in person), whilst I bore up bravely beneath this yoke of oppression are now welcome, nay begged, to visit me this summer. Free food, free drink and -- for reasonably sized groups -- free beds. In return, you need only utter to me those magic words: "Oh man, it looks wonderful! What an improvement!"
  • I was a moot court judge at the University of Washington law school last night. Participants were all first year students (1L's in law school jargon). Students are getting brighter, more articulate, and more poised every year. The future of the profession will be in good hands. I only hope their idealism will always match their professional skills.
  • Seattle Art Museum reopened its downtown venue a week ago. It has expanded from the small rather peculiar post-modern building that Philadelphia architect Robert Venturi conned Seattle into building 15 years ago, and now flows into an adjacent portion of a just completed 16-story, sleekly-designed glass tower. At present, the museum occupies only the first four floors of the new addition, with WaMu renting the floors above. Eventually, the museum will grow into occupation of the first 12 stories of the building. It seems kind of a peculiar urban facility, unlike the more horizontally designed museums in most cities. We shall see how it all works out. The signature piece as you enter is a group of automobiles (real ones), suspended from the ceiling, apparently exploding off into all directions.
  • And speaking of SAM, the museum's sculpture park opened earlier this year. Large outdoor pieces of, well, art (think 25 foot high typewriter erasers), are scattered across a beautiful stretch of brand new parkland, built from scratch on former industrial wasteland, and extending all the way down to the water. Views of Puget Sound and the Olympics are fantastic. SAM has reconstructed a small stretch of primordial beach on the waterfront, bringing in sand and driftwood and boulders -- a place that kids love. The park is built over and around a main city arterial (Elliott Avenue) and the northbound mainline tracks, heavily used by Amtrak and Burlington Northern. Surprisingly, it all works. It all pulls together. It's all wonderful. I love it!
And that's how it is, briefly, in the Northwest Corner. Good night ... and good luck.

14 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

It sounds wonderful, all of it. I've always wanted to live along a coast. (Generally) more moderate temperatures than the hideous extremes we get here, more rain (which I love), and perhaps even beaches. *sighs* Curse you, Continental Drift, for destroying the sea that used to cover this whole area.

Zachary Freier said...

Oh, and I'm glad you don't have to deal with the infamous Painter anymore.

Rainier96 said...

Even worse, north-south slippage along the San Andreas fault means that Los Angeles County is moving northward, and will soon be reaching our latitude. I think George W. Bush is somehow responsible. Actually, I guess L.A. will start heading toward the Aleutians before it actually reaches here. Thank God.

I'm glad the rain sounds good to you! I keep enticing relatives up here to live ... some come for a while and get washed away back to California by the winter's rain!

Anyway.... you've got ski areas close at hand where the snow is actually non-soggy! I think it's called "powder"? lol

Zachary Freier said...

Yeah. Except I don't ski.

Rainier96 said...

And you call yourself a Coloradan??

Zachary Freier said...

Yes. I'm a Coloradan because I live in Colorado. A novel concept, I know - like the idea that maybe conservatives are just as American as us! :O

Rainier96 said...

Whoa! Now, that's crazy talk.

But as for Colorado, I guess I'm looking at the state like a tourist. It's like your asking me how I can be a Washingtonian if I don't go salmon fishing. Or cut down trees for recreation.

Zachary Freier said...

Oh, well here I just assumed you did.

As for Colorado: The state is only really mountainous in the middle third, thankyouverymuch. The eastern third is the west end of the Great Plains, and the western third is plateaus and canyons and desert.

Rainier96 said...

Yeah, I've driven from Denver up into the "hills." It's all flat, and then all of sudden you're heading up and up. I don't know your area, though. I've been in Durango, which is a long ways from where you are, I know, but that's how I slipped westward into Utah through Colorado one time. And I've been in Steamboat.

Zachary Freier said...

Well, whoever planned that trip was high at the time. :P That's the very long way 'round.

(Actually, between you and me, the places you've seen are much better than here.)

Rainier96 said...

You mean I don't need to add Grand Junction to my list of places that I MUST see before I die? :D

Zachary Freier said...

No, I'm afraid not. It's rather unexciting.

Rainier96 said...

NOTE TO READERS: Despite his claim above that nothing exciting ever happens in his home town, Mr. Freier, a regular contributor to these pages, was advised this week that he had totally aced his ACT exams (equivalent of the SAT), hitting the 99th percentile on all sections.

Treat his opinions with respect. :-)

Zachary Freier said...

>_>

<_<

But I'm modest about it.