Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Gin & Tonic








• 2 oz. London dry gin
• Tonic water (from a fresh bottle)
• 1-2 ample wedges of lime
• Plenty of cold ice cubes
• Highball glass





DIRECTIONS
1) Chill the glass. You may want to fill it with ice, then empty it and refill.
2) Fill the glass with whole ice cubes. If you wish, take a wedge of lime and moisten the rim of the glass with it.
3) Pour the gin over the ice, which should be cold enough that it crackles when the liquor hits it.
4) Fill glass almost to the top with tonic.
5) Squeeze one wedge of lime into the glass. Drop the squeezed lime into the drink as a garnish if you like; it’s not necessary, but can add a bit of extra flavor. Serve.



That got your attention, right? After months of boring you, my readers, with high-minded PBS-style nonsense, I conducted a secret readership survey to learn what you really wanted to see. Unsurprising answer? Booze and dames. (For the women, booze alone seemed to suffice.)

Well, this is the World Wide Web. If you, my loyal readers, can't surf your way to lovely ladies for any taste -- and I say any taste -- on your own, you'd better call Tech Support and ask how to use your mouse.

But booze? Indeed. I offer for your certain approval the Prince of alcoholic beverages. Don't whine to me about your dirty martinis and raspberry flavored vodka. Yecch! Grow up and taste the nectar of the gods. Kick back, enjoy the waning days of summer, sip a well made G&T, and remember -- these golden moments have been brought to you courtesy of the Northwest Corner.

Next week, we return once more to our regularly scheduled programming, Oil, Deceit and Paranoia:: The Nefarious Adventures of George and Dick.

Recipe: Jon Bonné, MSNBC

9 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

I'll never understand why anyone would want to drink something made out of juniper blossoms.

Tawny said...

Ah yes, I will be enjoying one of these in 2 hours and 35 minutes (Approximately)

Rainier96 said...

Tawny -- The perfect end to a Friday! Wish I were down there enjoying it with you!

Zach -- Berries, idiot child, not blossoms. :P Well, I've got some ethics, and I refuse to talk a minor into learning to love gin and tonics. Hey, wait! What's that on your MySpace about "possibly" drinking? How's that possible -- you're not 21 yet??? I'm baffled!!!!! :P

Zachary Freier said...

I actually knew it was the berries. I wrote that comment at 5:12 AM. :P

I'll have you know that I'm rather innocent compared to a lot of my peers. Just because I know what most types of alcohol are made out of doesn't mean I drink them regularly. :)

Rainier96 said...

You're excused, since it was 5:12 a.m. :) Umm...so were you up very early, or amazingly late?

I never suspected you of being an habitual drunk, by the way. You spell too well, and you hit all the right keys when you keyboard it in. :D

Zachary Freier said...

During the school year, I have this ridiculous habit of setting my alarm clock for 5 AM. I find it's nice to have a couple hours to get ready and do whatever I need to do, rather than waking up 30 minutes before school starts and going into a frenzy to get ready.

Rainier96 said...

Cool. I set mine at either 5 or 6 myself, depending on what lies ahead for the day. (And when I got to bed.) I insist on reading the whole morning paper while I slurp cereal and coffee. So has school started already for you? Ours always started right after Labor Day.

Zachary Freier said...

The first week of school just ended here. I suppose that's a good topic for a blog. :P

Rainier96 said...

Exactly. Especially when your "status" line for a while was "Zachary is ready for school to start." Your post can be titled "Whatever was I thinking?" :D