Sunday, August 2, 2009

Houseless in Seattle


Again, today, the huge trucks are gathering in front. Yes, the saga of "My House as a Movie Set" goes on. For the past several days, the focus of attention has been the house two doors down from mine, whose interior will provide the interior of the house that, in the movie, is adjacent to mine. I believe shooting will begin very soon at that house, maybe today.

My house, to be occupied by a neurotic, middle-aged woman (played by Laura Linney), is already being transformed on its exterior. The wood surfaces have been painted a faded and chipped pink -- truly ghastly (see above photo of rear) -- and there are tomato plants piled up in my backyard that will be planted once my own lawn has been ripped up and transplanted two doors down. The Linney character apparently is a fanatical gardener. (My house hasn't seen a gardener, fanatical or otherwise, for many a moon.) The foliage will be cut back extensively, which needed to be done in any case.

All my furniture and possessions will be removed and put into storage. The interior will be scrubbed to remove all cat dander (to which Laura Linney is highly allergic), and will be repainted and refurnished in late 20th century, neurotic middle-aged woman mode.

I'm still waiting to hear the date that I move out and turn my house over to the film company. The contract was for August 10, but they may need a couple of extra days to prepare the interiors, and I'm being docile and cooperative. They are putting me (and my feline companions) up in a Marriott suite on Lake Union, which is about as good an alternative living arrangement as I could have hoped for.

I will be cut off from many of my usual toys and amusements -- computer, U.S. Mail, piano, CD player, back deck) -- but I'll be welcome on the set (i.e., my house) whenever it doesn't disturb the filming. I've never been the sort that goes about with Hollywood stars in his eyes, but I have to admit that I'm excited to see a film being shot, and especially being shot in and around my own home.

I'll keep my vast readership informed. But be warned that there will be a news blackout for a couple of weeks, beginning soon, while my lack of a computer keeps me exiled me from cyberspace.

2 comments:

Tawny said...

Haha, I love the pink trim. Ever think of keeping it :)

Rainier96 said...

Um, that would be a negative, Houston. If you click the photo to blow it up, you can see how awful it really looks.