Sunday, December 13, 2009

Progress


The cynics among you -- among whom I'd certainly consider myself, were I in your shoes -- probably suspected, after reading last month's posting about my efforts to master the Pathétique, that in another year I'd shamefacedly stand before you, scuffing the ground with my foot, confessing that once more I'd made little progress.

Well, in the past month I haven't made a lot of progress, perhaps, and I can't seem to force myself to practice anywhere near as much as I should, but I have made progress. (No matter how lazy you are, if you play a piece even a couple of times a day, you're bound to improve!) I still miss notes, I still fumble over fingering on some of the chords, and I definitely have my problems with the trills -- I have no intention of inviting you to a recital! -- but it's getting there, and it's increasingly fun to play.

But the disparity between the recording of the sonata to which I linked you in my November 12 post and the sounds that come out of my own piano is disheartening. Hitting the right notes is only an initial step, as I can hear only too well. But -- the upside of my distance from my goal is that it reinforces my conviction that I need lessons. I'm still planning to look for the proper teacher, once we're into January.

I'm excited at the prospect. Further details as events warrant.

No comments: