Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Homage to Ludwig


August -- and the summer -- draw to an end. A new school year. For me, too. In another two weeks I'll be back to my weekly schedule of piano lessons. Let me indulge myself by updating my last status report.

My work during the summer, supported by two lessons, continues to be limited to Beethoven's Pathétique sonata. The second movement, the easiest and the first that I tackled, now sounds pretty decent, at least some of the time. I play it at the proper tempo, hit most of the notes most of the time, and put a certain amount of expression into it. I'm hoping for additional hints from my instructor on the latter, although I realize that musicality or musical expression ultimately has to come from within myself.

I'm pleased with my progress on the third movement. I play the movement -- almost, but not entirely -- at an even tempo, and I've ironed out a large number of speed bumps that were bothering me for a long time. There are still two or three areas that give me some trouble, but I've been overcoming those difficulties as well. Also, the movement has a number of quick runs up and down the scale that need more practice.

Having said that, I have to admit that I'm still quite far from performance speed. The third movement is played at varying tempos by different performers whom I've watched on YouTube, but it's a fast allegro, and I clearly have a way to go to reach even the slowest of their tempos. I understand that speed comes automatically with practice, and I certainly have increased my own speed dramatically, even without making an effort to do so.

I also would like to memorize both movements. A friend of mine, who performed the sonata in recital as a teenager, assures me that I can never claim to have mastered any classical piece until I've memorized it.

The first movement -- the longest and most difficult -- is still a formidable work in progress. I haven't even tried playing the last half, and I'm still awkwardly picking my way through the first half. I was hoping to have made more progress on the movement over the summer, but it remains a major project for my upcoming year.

Finally, my instructor told me during my last visit that she wants me to find another -- perhaps easier -- piece to work on, together with the Beethoven. She's afraid I'll get sick of the Pathétique, if that's all I ever play. (I suspect she may just be sick of listening to it herself every week.) Anyway, I'm looking around for something appropriate, which is kind of fun.

If it isn't obvious, I'm very glad that I jumped back into piano biz last winter.

No comments: