Monday, September 20, 2010

September surprise


Christine O'Donnell, a Tea Party favorite and Delaware's unexpected Republican nominee for the Senate, is now forced to contend with accusations of youthful dabbling in witchcraft -- and with horrified responses from her conservative erstwhile fans.

Hey, it was just high school high jinx, she states. Now she goes to church. In fact, she went to church on Sunday, after the witchcraft allegations surfaced, rather than appear as scheduled on "Fox News Sunday" and "Face the Nation."

In 1999, according to Fox News, it seems that she admitted on TV that she had

"dabbled into witchcraft. I never joined a coven."

"I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do," she said.
No biggie. Oh there was the occasional odd date.

"One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn't know it. I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that," she said, laughing in the clip.

"We went to a movie and then had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar," she said.

I guess she didn't inhale. And all this time, we thought "witch" was just a meaningless pejorative.

We Democrats have all kinds of loonies in our ranks. Hell, we embrace 'em! But this latest revelation may not go over well with large portions of Ms. O'Donnell's right wing constituency. As if she weren't already enough of a headache for a Republican mainstream leadership hoping for a Republican Senate come November.

No comments: