Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Voting without hope


I'm resigned.

I mailed in my ballot over the weekend. I voted to re-elect our Democratic senator. I then picked my way through an unusually long list of state and local initiatives and referendums.

In general: I voted for schools. I voted against two propositions to abolish the state's liquor monopoly. (It seems well run and I'm familiar with California, where liquor is sold like milk and toothpaste; I see no advantage to that system.) I voted against measures establishing minority-rule when it comes to new taxes. (Again, I'm not interested in watching my state follow California -- into chaos and insolvency.)

I voted against repeal -- heavily financed by out-of-state interests -- of sales taxes on candy, bottled water and soda pop. Similarly, I voted against repeal -- supported by out-of-state insurance companies -- of our state's worker's comp system.

With some hesitation, I voted in favor of imposing a state income tax on folks making over $200,000. People living in large lavish houses in the nicest parts of town who prominently brandish "Vote No on 1098" signs in their well-manicured front yards did their cause no favor -- at least, not in winning my vote.

The initiative and referendum were progressive innovations of the early 20th century. They were intended to permit average citizens to overrule the decisions of corrupt legislatures, which were then dominated by big corporations. At one time, I had a bias in favor of supporting -- or at least seriously considering -- any citizen initiative. But the entire process is now dominated by the same big business interests which it was designed to control. Collecting signatures on petitions has become a profitable cottage industry. One idiot -- Washington residents know who I mean -- has devoted his entire life and career to proposing and obtaining passage of initiatives that have the design and effect of crippling the state's ability to function.

As a result, ballot propositions -- aside from support of schools -- now come before me with a presumption of undesirability. The burden's on you -- fresh-faced kid on the corner soliciting signatures -- to persuade me that your sponsor's motives are pure and that the possible outcome, if the measure should pass, will be worth the risk of the experiment.

Conceivably, my attitude is merely a manifestation of an increasingly rigid and conservative personality, hiding under the guise of support for liberal politics. I hope not, and I doubt it.

This will not be a good year for liberals, under even the most favorable projections, at either the federal or state levels. I'm just hunkering down, doing what I can, and hoping the country -- and the millions of citizens who are suffering through this recession -- can survive the next two years. If the Republicans win and show an unexpected brilliance of leadership, compassion, and expertise -- well, good for them. I might even consider rewarding them to some extent, come 2012. I'm not worried, however, that anyone's going to call me on this promise.

As I say, I'm not happy. I'm not hopeful. I'm resigned.

No comments: