Monday, February 28, 2011

Count down to Iran


It's really happening! Just one month (31 days) from today, we take off for Tehran where my sister and I will join 33 others for my college alumni association's tour of Iran. I'm waiting anxiously, day by day, to get my passport back with my Iranian visa stamped in it.

Yes, the trip is going forward as planned. No, upheavals in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia will not deter us -- any more than did war between Serbia and Croatia deter tourists from visiting Paris and Rome while it was in progress. After all, it's over 1,300 miles from Tehran to Cairo.

Packing for the trip will be easy, because even the well-dressed gentleman in Iran dresses himself informally. Long sleeved shirts are strongly recommended, but I may take some short sleeved shirts for very warm days, just in case I feel brave. No shorts, unfortunately. But it's my sister who'll have the problems. She has to locate and purchase loose flowing garments (abayas) in the proper shapes and hues to wear over her jeans or other pants. And most importantly, she has to remember, at all times, to keep her hair concealed under a scarf. These Islamic dress rules, called hejab, apply to both men and women, but it's the women -- as you'd expect -- who bear most of the burden.

We received our final flight schedules today. I fly from Seattle, my sister from San Francisco, and we meet for a layover of several hours in Amsterdam. We then fly together to Tehran, where we arrive shortly before midnight, to be met (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) by a representative of the tour group who will take us to our hotel (the old Intercontinental, which is now a bit down at its heels, I understand).

I've looked forward to this trip for so long, it's hard to believe the time is almost here. My readers will be treated to a summary of my thoughts and observations after my return on April 17.

No comments: