Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Walking in the rain


Cries of complaint from many readers have been pouring into the Northwest Corner's editorial offices -- well, one cry from one reader -- regarding the diminishing quantity of posts over the past few weeks.  (We'll skim over any complaints about diminishing quality, complaints perhaps becoming more frenetic following my contemplation of living out my life as a Laird.)   I like to think of this slowdown as quantitative easing, but that term doesn't seem popular either.

And it will only get worse.  I leave within the hour for nearly two weeks in England where -- as mentioned in an earlier post -- I will hike the Cumbria Way with my niece.  This trail runs 70 miles from Ulverston to Carlisle. 

It seems to be a typical summer in Britain, especially in the west.  I've been following the weather in Ulverston, and it seems to have been raining daily for the past month, with the ten-day forecast showing more of the same.  Most of the rain is forecast as "showers," a flexible term that can mean most anything.  But I have to say that in my prior years of British hiking I can recall only one day when it rained all day.  Generally, the rain comes and goes, and actually goes more than it comes.

So I'm off, and the Northwest Corner is in abeyance for a couple of weeks.  I'll come back a damper, but more energetic, writer.

No comments: