Monday, December 14, 2015

Out, out, damned signature line


"Sent from my iPhone"

This annoying phrase has been attached to every email I've sent out on my -- yes -- iPhone over the past year.  I can always delete it, of course, but it's placed down at the bottom of the page where I never notice it while typing.

I don't notice it until I read my sent email, and then it jumps out at me like a sore thumb.

What kind of impression does it create?  Primarily, I suspect, it says "Here is a jerk who is so clueless that he believes everyone is impressed by his owning an iPhone.  Whoopie!  A major status symbol."  That's pretty embarrassing.  Kind of like signing my emails with "Sent while shopping at Macy's."

Or, as someone on-line has observed, it may say, "Here is an idiot who is too lazy to change his settings to eliminate the stupid line from his emails."  Kind of like walking around wearing a new sweater with a price tag still hanging from the collar.

Or worse, "Here is an idiot who doesn't KNOW HOW to remove the line."  Ouch!!

To be honest, until I decided to write this post, bemoaning the presence of the iPhone signature on my emails, it had never occurred to me that they could be removed other than on a case by case basis.  But a quick Google search revealed that a large number of folks out there were happy to tell me exactly how to do it -- a procedure that is so simple and so intuitive that I'm embarrassed to talk about it further.

Let's just say this --  you will never see that humiliating sign-off tag on my emails again.

Posted while driving my Maserati GranTurismo.

No comments: