Friday, March 18, 2016

New UW station finally opens


New UW station
I'm depressed that Seattle has talked about rail transit for so many decades, and has so little to show for it. I'm depressed at the part that the media have played in the debacle of this election. I'm depressed at the role played by the Sierra Club, an organization with whom I feel close ties.

And I'm generally depressed at our inability as a community to make decisions and work together to accomplish what we set out to do.

--------------------------------------------

So I wrote on November 8, 2007 -- feeling morose because the voters had just turned down funds for significant expansions to the fledgling light rail system. 

New Capitol Hill station

Since that time, voters have been far more accommodating.  If you run a search for "light rail" on my blog, you'll be surprised (at least I was) at how many posts I've devoted to the topic.  What can I say?  My fanaticism with rails all began when I received my first electric train! 

In any event, as I posted a couple of months ago, after eight years of tunneling and construction, the extension of the light rail system from downtown to Husky Stadium at the University of Washington is finally completed.  The new stations at the Stadium and on Capitol Hill open tomorrow, amidst much fanfare.  Tents have been thrown up around the UW station to provide music, games, food, favors -- and who knows what-all -- to the expected hordes. 

Free rides, tomorrow only!

And just in time, I say.  I fly to Southeast Asia on Sunday.  Guess how your humble correspondent will be getting to the airport?

No comments: