Saturday, August 6, 2016

Hiking in Crete


Having recovered physically from my Yorkshire hike -- although, obviously, my mind has still not recovered enough to write regular blog posts -- I am looking forward to my next foreign hiking opportunity. 

In late September, I'll be traveling to Crete for a small-group hiking tour organized by the same British company with which I traveled to Tajikistan in 2013.  The trip begins with my arrival in Chania, on the northern coast of the island, whence we will be carted down to Omalos, at the head of the famed Samaria gorge.  The gorge is some ten miles long, and only about three yards wide in places -- the walls towering over 1,600 feet above the gorge where we will be hiking.  Samaria is one of the most famous canyon walks in the world.

The hike through the gorge will take just one day.  Before that climactic day, we will climb a mountain north of the gorge, and after the gorge hike we will do a number of day hikes -- examining old Turkish forts, walking along the south Cretan coast, visiting small villages, and climbing another mountain just to prove we can still do it.

Before meeting up with my group in Chania, I plan to spend three days in Athens, revisiting beloved ancient sites recalled from youthful travels and from my reading of history.  It will be my fourth visit to Athens, but my first since shortly after graduating from law school -- many years ago! 

In the past, I've always managed to visit Greece at the peak of the tourist season, and during the peak of the summer temperatures.  I hope to enjoy both cooler temperatures and fewer fellow tourists this time.

No comments: