Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Back to the slopes


Next week, my middle nephew, Denny, turns 40 -- a hair-raising fact for his eldest uncle, if no one else, to contemplate.  But to ease the sense of horror that perhaps many of us older relatives feel, the entire clan is getting together for a birthday celebration at Donner Lake, near the north end of Lake Tahoe, this weekend.

The event is being hosted by the Birthday Boy himself.  We're gathering at a cabin he's rented for the occasion.  Weather permitting -- and it looks like the weather will be quite favorable -- many of us will head for the ski slopes on Saturday.

I throw this plan off casually, as though skiing occupies most my winter weekends.  Actually -- and I'm astounded to realize this -- I haven't been skiing since 2008, when I posted a description of my family's ski weekend at South Lake Tahoe. 

Do I dare?

It's not that I've forgotten how to ski.  Skiing's like riding a bike.  Once you've learned, your body knows what to do.  My muscles will know exactly what to do -- the question is whether they'll be able to do it.

During the prior nine years, I've done plenty of walking and hiking, much of it up and down hill.  That's a good thing, but the muscles used for skiing aren't exactly the same as those used for hiking.  Have they atrophied?  Have they aged?  Have all my leg muscles, aside from those used for walking, become a disgusting and squishy mass of gelatin?

The answer is -- we shall soon find out.  I'm confident that, even if I do just fine, I won't be skiing all day.  There's a reason that ski areas often let seniors ski for reduced prices -- we get off the slopes early.  There are warming huts awaiting us, with hot coffee and hot buttered rum.  There will be a lodge at the bottom, filled with beautiful people dressed in the latest ski gear on whose heads, mysteriously, not a strand of hair will be misplaced.  There will be giant burgers and plates of nachos available, and various IPAs served with a smile.

There are thus many ways to spend a day "skiing."  At different phases of my life, I've enjoyed many of them.  I'll report back on this particular trip -- even if (especially if) I end up breaking a leg.  After all, I'm part Norwegian -- it's all good.

Let's hit the slopes.

No comments: