Monday, March 18, 2019

Muldoon ailing


On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, an ultrasound exam revealed that my cat Loki had an incurable colon cancer.  He spent 17 more days with me, most of them happy, before I bowed to the inevitable and had him put to sleep.

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019, fifty-two weeks to the day, my remaining cat Muldoon will be given a similar examination.  An x-ray on Saturday has already revealed a tumor in or near the small intestine, and an enlarged kidney, possibly enlarged because of a second tumor.  The ultrasound is to determine the exact nature of the tumors, and whether either chemotherapy or surgery would give Muldoon any significant increase of enjoyable lifespan.

I pretty much know the answer, but it's worth a shot.

As I discussed a little over a month ago -- when he seemed totally healthy, although the tumors were already growing -- Muldoon's personality blossomed after his step-brother passed away.  From being the timid cat in the family, he became the only son.  He became increasingly adventuresome, and openly affectionate.  Over this past year, he and I have spent many happy evenings together, each ending when he reminded me it was time for bed -- lurking at the bottom of the stairs, or preceding me upstairs to the bedroom.

He is a black and white cat, a combination the veterinarian describes as "tuxedo."  I adopted him at the same time as Loki.  Loki was still a kitten at adoption, but Muldoon was maybe five or six months old.  He is coming up on his fifteenth birthday, a birthday with an unknown date that he probably won't be around to celebrate even if we knew when it was.

As I lamented in my blog on March 15, 2018,

Those of you who don't live with a pet, or whose pet is on the periphery of your daily life, won't grasp how emotionally taxing the decision to end a cat's life can be.

At least then, I had a spare cat in reserve.  Now, I contemplate a large, quiet, empty house.

At least I can take the protective covers off my furniture.  Muldoon's claws will claw no more.   That is scant consolation.

No comments: