Sunday, May 12, 2019

As I was going to St. Ives ....


Land's End 
Most westerly point in England

After my planned visit to Kashmir, India, in March collapsed at the last minute, because of a crisis between India and Pakistan, I began holding my breath about the viability of my planned hike in May along the coast of Cornwall, England. 

My readers have been offered various previews of that trip, various references to oddities to be learned about Cornwall, various hints that the time for Cornish hiking was drawing near.  Always with my fingers crossed, fearing that talking about it would cause it also, like Kashmir, to evaporate .  Wondering if Brexit, originally planned for March 29, would lead first to riots, and then to the collapse of civil government by mid-May, requiring us to cancel this trip as well out of fear of being drowned in ale or pelted with scones upon our arrival.

But all seems calm in the still barely "United" Kingdom, and I intend to board an Icelandair flight to London via Reykjavik tomorrow afternoon.  Let the wild coastal hiking begin -- starting out from St. Ives, rounding Land's End and Lizard Point, and ending up in Falmouth!

The downside, of course, is that you'll be without your twice-weekly (or so) stories on the pages of what Trump would call "Your All Time Favorite Blog."  But I'll be back by the end of the month, and soon thereafter will be churning out the posts that have so cleverly eluded, to date,  a Pulitzer Prize.

No comments: