Friday, September 20, 2019

New York, again revisited


As I've mentioned, I returned Tuesday from a four day visit to New York.  Just a quick visit, one I make every two or three years, to make sure the Big Apple is still a town that I feel appealing.  (Yes.)  And one in which I wish that I owned a three or four story town house on the Upper West Side.  (Yes!!)

This year, I didn't really visit any place I hadn't seen before.  My viewing of the Broadway show Dear Evan Hansen (see Wednesday's discussion) was my only pre-planned activity.  My iPhone app shows that in four days I walked 38.4 miles, which suggests my major activity. 

I also spent a number of hours wandering the Metropolitan Museum.  The Met's displays have been shuffled around during renovation work.  As a result, I spent quite some time viewing its displays of medieval armor and armaments, which I don't recall ever having noticed in the past.

I once more stayed at a hotel on the Upper West Side -- on W. 87th, just off Broadway.  I'm impressed by all the kids in that part of town -- walking to school with or without parents, biking around, zooming around on push scooters, running in school cross-country groups in Central Park.  New York parents seem refreshingly willing to let their children gambol about on their own.  In my Seattle neighborhood, the stern oversight of helicopter parents is just now beginning to ease off from what we've seen over the last couple of decades.  

Anyway, rather than describe places I walked, which I've really already described after past visits, I thought I'd just post a few representative photos.  And here they are. 



Lincoln Center at twilight

Night people, silhouetted against Lincoln Center fountain
Music Box, W. 45th St., 
Dinner at "Fred's"
Amsterdam at W. 83rd
Columbia University, at W. 116th
An easy walk from my hotel 


Dakota Apartments, viewed from
the Reservoir in Central Park

World Trade Center, Building 1
 
Weird new NY skyline
Looking south from the Central Park Big Meadow

No comments: