Sunday, February 2, 2020

Groundhog


"Happy Groundhog Day!" I shout, in a fit of blogophoric originality. 

Why the ironic "originality"?  Because I note that I've already blogged on or before Groundhog Day, with said day as the topic, in 2009, 2010, and 2016.   Last year, I posted the day after Groundhog Day -- a day on which Mr. Hog did not see his shadow -- with an observation that, despite the old marmot's prognostication the day before, it was then snowing.  I trusted, however, that the snow would be a brief interlude in our rapid progress to an early spring. 

Over the next ten days, we had four massive snow storms move through the area, making February 2019 the snowiest February in Seattle history since 1916.  Ol' Brer Groundhog, he just curled up in his bed, and he laughed fit to kill.

At least if something similar happens this year, the Groundhog has given us fair warning today.

But as for now, we have blue skies, bright sunshine, and a crisp 37 degrees (2.8º C) at 10 a.m.  I'll enjoy it while I can, regardless of what Marmota monax has announced about the next six weeks.

No comments: