Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Reviewing books


“Unfortunately, missing the author’s point, or not understanding the book, is not enough to prevent one from reviewing and/or rating it.”

--Mokokoma Mokhonoana

As you've noticed, part of my performance of my duties as a blogger is the writing of book reviews.  At least, I call them book reviews.  They bear little resemblance to the analytical essays I was required to write in freshman English, and they bear even less resemblance to the book reviews appearing in the New York Times Book Review.  They are rather just my little post-reading reactions to what I've read, sometimes not much more than amazed summaries.

But -- as I say -- I call them "book reviews." 

As I've mentioned frequently in earlier posts, after publishing book reviews for your delectation, I copy and paste them onto the Goodreads website, with an introductory disclaimer, "(FROM MY BLOG)."  I hope this explanatory introduction will excuse me from failing to write the sort of reviews that others write -- some of which are well-written, informed evaluations of subject matter as well as analyses of writing style; many more of which are mere elaborations on the theme of "Cool book, I really really liked it."

Whatever.  

Goodreads advises me that, to date, I've published 134 book reviews on their site, the great majority of which you, my readers, have had the opportunity to read here first.  Does anyone pay attention to my little masterpieces?  Apparently.

I received an email yesterday from the publisher Little, Brown & Co., reminding me that I had written a favorable review of Ayad Akhtar's novel, American Dervish, back in 2013, and advising me that they would, with my consent, send me a free advance copy of Akhtar's new novel Homeland Elegies.  No obligation on my part was required, but obviously they hope that I will both read this new novel and write something favorable about it, something that will encourage sales among Goodreads readers.

Of course, I said yes.  I danced around the house, imagining myself as one of those famous literary critics writing for the New Yorker or the New York Review of Books.  Or even the Seattle Times, I suppose.  After the metaphorical champagne wore off, I realized that I had not really joined a small, exclusive club.  I recalled the many Goodreads reviews I'd read that contained the disclaimer that the reviewer had been provided an advance free copy of the book they were reviewing, as though to escape the suspicion that a favorable review might have been the quid pro quo for receipt of a $24.99 book.  

Well, I probably could be bribed.  But I do have some integrity. At least for only $24.99.

Sooner or later, you probably will read my review of Homeland Elegies in this blog.  I'll remind you that I got a free book out of the deal, and assure you that I was not thereby influenced, just because that's what we reviewers on Goodreads like to do.  

No comments: