Saturday, September 26, 2020

School in the time of Corona


Autumn quarter at the University of Washington begins on Monday.  I live a mile south of the campus.  Yesterday, I walked one of my frequent routes -- from my house to the university, and then looped my way around the campus.

The campus has been rather dead all summer, but was showing signs of returning to life.  But not vibrant life.  Ninety percent of the classes will be taught on-line.  Nevertheless, the dormitories are opening, for those who need them.  Because of decreased demand, many of the buildings will not re-open.  Students are being spaced in the dorms that do open so as to comply with distancing rules.  And the dining halls -- where so many interesting conversations took place in my own student years -- will be strictly a place to pick up meals to be eaten elsewhere. 

I was not aware of all these facts when I crossed the campus -- I was just out for a walk.  I'd even forgotten that the new academic year was about to begin.  But there were a number of students moving baggage  into some of the dormitories, which quickly reminded me of the time of year.  Many of the students seemed to be freshman -- they had that fresh, nervous, wide-eyed look -- and were being assisted by parents.

Everyone was wearing masks, which are mandatory on campus (or at least while inside campus buildings, and outside as well, where it's not possible to maintain six-foot distances).  A long line had formed outside my old dormitory -- McMahon Hall.  McMahon will not be opening fall quarter -- the line was for administering Covid-19 tests, which students have been requested to receive no later than 72 hours within arrival.

It occurred to me that the entire scene would have seemed surreal a year ago at this time.  Back when students were yelling and running around, crowding together and shoving each other.  (I don't mean they were acting like middle school kids -- just a bit exuberant.)  Everything was more restrained now -- masked, distant, and a bit tense.

But it still felt like beginning of term at an American university.  Since March, similar changes have been occurring throughout our entire society, of which the campus is a microcosm.  We are an adaptable species, psychologically as well as physically.  The surreal soon becomes the norm.  Students are still students -- even when masked and distanced.  Schools are still schools, even if the teaching is largely Zoomed, and even if the living quarters are more carefully regulated.

If I were 18 and beginning university studies this term, I might seriously have considered taking a year off and beginning a year later when college life -- one hopes -- would be back to "normal."  But maybe not.  I might have been so excited about going to college that the masks and the distancing and the Zooming would all have seemed just minor adjustments.  Certainly no greater adjustments than were leaving home, adapting to group living in a campus residence, or attending massive auditorium-sized lectures.

My best to all the new (and returning) students at the U-Dub. Have fun, and stay safe.

No comments: