Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Breakfast achieved


Just a brief follow-up to earlier posts:  Yes, having reached indisputable full Pfizer immunity this morning, I visited my favorite semi-fast restaurant for breakfast.

My first return in 350 days to in-house eating at the restaurant that for years I visited daily.  My first hot meal in 350 days, with the exception of frozen pizza cooked at home.  My first facial nakedness in an enclosed space outside my own home in 350 days.

How did it go?  Smoothly.  I reeled off the same order -- "Number One breakfast, eggs over easy, ham, wheat toast, coffee" -- as though I had last given it only yesterday.  Slightly uncomfortable wait to remove my mask until after the order was brought to the table, despite a cup of hot coffee awaiting my attention, and slightly awkward re-applying of the mask each time I went for a coffee refill.  Slight nervousness at seeing a group of familiar regulars gathered at the other end of the room, laughing and talking without masks -- maybe they're just more comfortable with -- and confident of -- their vaccinated state.  Pleased to see that half the booths (alternating) were marked with a "No Seating at this Booth" sign, and that the population of the restaurant at 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. was well below the legal 25 percent.  

Food just as I remember it -- good enough to keep me coming back.  I won't be returning on a daily basis -- more likely about once a week.  Partly because I'm still leery of possible exposure, even with the vaccine, and partly because during the past 350 days I've developed a rather comfortable (and less expensive) routine of home prepared meals.  But who knows?  I may gradually slip back into my old routine with time.

Final conclusion -- slight anti-climax.  I'd been awaiting this event for so long.  Now it's over, and it was cool, but it didn't bring total ecstasy -- I didn't feel transfigured, nor did the earth move.  But hey -- such a sense of anti-climax was experienced even as a kid on the first or second day after Christmas.  It's a sad feature of the human condition.

No comments: