Saturday, July 31, 2021

Idaho rafting


Ever since I was a kid, I've dreamed of a float trip down the Colorado river, through the Grand Canyon.  I've never done it, and the probability of my doing it in the future is growing smaller and smaller.  Hasn't vanished yet, but diminishing.

But in four weeks, I will be rafting down the Middle Fork of the Salmon river in Idaho -- also one of the great river rafting experiences in America.  I'll be with a private group, consisting of two or four family friends, as well as my sister and myself.  

We'll be on the river for six days, camping out each night in the heart of the River of No Return Wilderness Area -- the largest contiguous, designated wilderness area outside Alaska (2,366,827 acres).  At its deepest point, 6,300 feet, the canyon is deeper than the Grand Canyon.

I'll fly to Sun Valley a couple of days before the beginning of the trip, and drive to my sister's house near Challis.  The next evening, we'll meet up with our guides and others in our group in Stanley, about an hour's south of Challis.

My only prior river rafting experience has been a couple of floats with a group from my law firm over thirty years ago -- day floats down the Skagit river, north of Seattle.  The Skagit was pretty swift, and I managed to bounce out of the raft and into the river on each occasion.  Our Idaho guides provide both luxury rides on guide-directed rafts, and kayaks for the more adventurous.  I'll probably start out being conservative, but long before six days have elapsed, I suspect I'll want to try my hand at kayaking.  We will see.

I've been provided an impressively long list of items to bring with me -- most but not all of which I already own.  A trip to REI obviously will be required before departure.

I've spent my life hiking and climbing in wilderness areas.  This summer, I'll be able to enjoy the wilderness while letting water and gravity do all the work.  

No comments: