Friday, August 20, 2021

Booster


October 18 is a date on my calendar that definitely deserves being circled in red:  The eight-month anniversary of my second Pfizer vaccination shot.  And as such -- the day I become eligible, under President Biden's announcement, for a third shot.  Eligible for the famous booster shot.  

(Actually, October 18 is a Saturday, and I'll be spending a long weekend in Boston, but as soon as possible thereafter.)

I've already reached the six-month point, and I'm already nervous about how well my immunity is holding up.  Studies in Israel show a fading immunity after six months, especially among older persons.  I'll be in Italy September 8-20 -- a somewhat risky plan in any event.  Although, according to figures in the New York Times, Italy so far is significantly less of a "hot spot" than is my own county here in Washington -- and my county is doing better than most of the U.S.  

But if I survive Italy's perils -- or, more to the point, if I'm able to get a negative antigen test that enables me to return to the welcoming arms of my own country -- I'll be first in line for the third shot as soon as it's available.

The original two shots of vaccine haven't totally prevented Covid infection as well as I'd hoped back in February.  The talk then was of 95 percent effectiveness, which we assumed meant that only 5 percent of those vaccinated would be infected after exposure.  But we've since learned that many "breakthrough" infections do occur, although most of them are either asymptomatic or result in only mild or moderate symptoms.

I've had innumerable experiences with sore throats, coughs, tiredness, and other potential signs of Covid-19 since February.  Was I experiencing an infection with minor symptoms?  Who knows.  I just don't want an asymptomatic infection to trigger a positive antigen test 72 hours before I head home.

Actually, I've read articles suggesting that if I have, in fact, "survived" minor Covid infections over the past six months, that might be a good thing.  Each infection gets the old immune system excited and eager to put out fires.  And if those infections came from different variants, so much the better -- I might now be a veritable fortress of immunity against all forms of attacking Covid virus.

Yes, as Hemingway once wrote. "Yes.   Isn't it pretty to think so."

No comments: