Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Grabbing that booster


Tomorrow morning, I'm scheduled to get my Pfizer booster shot at a local pharmacy.  It's been about 7½ months since I received my second shot, and I'm relieved to be able to get the booster at this time.

I'm convinced that the Pfizer vaccine itself is safe, and I've seen no evidence or suggestion that receiving it as a booster makes it less safe.  I'm less sure of the efficacy or need for a booster -- studies seem to go both ways -- but if it's safe and if it may possibly strengthen and prolong my immunity, I'm all for it.

Looking at boosters from a global standpoint, on the other hand, I certainly admit that there are ethical and epidemiological reasons to question giving any priority to booster shots.  There's a shortage of vaccine worldwide, and, in terms of ending the pandemic, I agree that giving the basic two shots to as many people as possible is more important than giving a booster to a guy who wants to be safe not only from death or serious illness, but from any illness at all -- and even from symptom-free infection.

But in this country, we have accumulated more vaccine than we can use, because of the incredible recalcitrance of a large percentage of our population.  We are donating some of that excess to countries that want it and can use it, but we need to keep a certain excess on hand to meet unpredictable demand.  But the vaccine has a fairly short shelf-life, and if not used within that period has to be discarded.

My own physician discussed the issue with me a month ago, during my annual physical.  He disagreed with the national policy of giving booster shots at this time, but -- on the personal level -- recommended that I get the shot if I had the opportunity.  The vaccine I receive wouldn't have been shipped overseas if I didn't receive it, he pointed out.  It would be trashed.

Kant's categorical imperative might suggest to me that this argument is rather self-serving.  What would be the effect on the world if every eligible American grabbed for the vaccine as a booster, as I'm doing?  

I'll mull that troubling question over later -- like after I get my shot tomorrow. 

No comments: