Thursday, June 9, 2022

Home from Chiang Mai


As I write this, my sister is sitting in Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, waiting for her 11 a.m. (Seattle time) flight to Seoul, Korea.  She will connect in Seoul with a Delta flight tonight, arriving in Seattle at 1:50 p.m. tomorrow.

My mind boggles every time I try to figure out where on her journey she might be, because Bangkok is 14 hours ahead of Seattle time, and Seoul is 16 hours ahead.  It makes more sense when you are actually traveling the route yourself.  In any event, I suspect she will have a lengthy layover in Seoul, as I always do, flying home from Thailand through Seoul.

My sister has been in Thailand for three months, having obtained an extension of her original one-month visa.  She's been living in the suburbs (exurbs?) of Chiang Mai, visiting with her son Denny and his wife Jessie, heaping adoration on her granddaughter Maury, and providing company to her ailing former husband and good friend Clinton.  

If we're not careful, our family's going to end up with more of us in Thailand than back here on the West Coast.

Anyway, I'm sure she's eager to get home to Idaho, back with family, horses, dogs, and cats, and supervising the end construction phases of a small cabin she's building on their 50 acres.  But first, she will spend four days here in Seattle -- visiting me and an old friend Suzy.  I'm delighted, because so few relatives ever make it up here to the Northwest Corner for a visit.  She probably will be zonked out with jet lag for much of that time, as I always am after trips to the Far East, but we'll have fun.

In preparation for her arrival, the Northwest Weather Gods have prepared another "atmospheric river" -- or "Hawaiian Express" -- a deluge of rainfall that is just now arriving.  It's supposed to rain most of the time she's here -- so much for my earlier visions of long hours chatting in the sun on my back deck, nursing cups of coffee.  But my sister, like me, is a Northwest native.  We're unfazed by a little rain.  Or even a lot of rain.

And she's spent the past two months in Chiang Mai during the monsoon season.  Admittedly, warm monsoons with scents of flowers, rather than chilly "atmospheric rivers" with scents of moss.  But still.

Welcome home, Kathy! 

------------------------------

Photo -- Sister Kathy and granddaughter in Chiang Mai (2017)

No comments: