Monday, February 20, 2023

"Medical student's disease"


As may be apparent from my posts, I virtually live to walk.  Around my house, out in the country,  or in a foreign country --  I spend vast amounts of time walking.

So when I suddenly began experiencing mild pain, weakness, and stiffness in my legs, I was concerned.  Possibly, it was a sign of old age, I thought, laughing at the concept of "old."  Or maybe it was from an overly enthusiastic attempt to strengthen legs by standing and sitting with my legs crossed.  That effort had, in fact, pulled an upper thigh muscle, which bothered me for several days -- maybe it also caused a generalized pain throughout my legs.

Of course, I could check with my doctor, but that's like asking for directions when you're driving through an unfamiliar town.  For us guys, it's only a last resort, after all attempts of self-help have failed.

No, far better that I do a fast check of my symptoms on Wikipedia.  Wikipedia always has an answer for everything, and it had a number of possible answers for me:

  • Stroke
  • Congestive heart failure
  • Spinal cord damage
  • Pinched nerve exiting spinal cord
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Viral nerve damage
  • Cancerous and non-cancerous growths in brain, spinal cord, or peripheral nerves
  • Long time exposure to alcohol
  • Diabetes
  • Drugs, like statins and steroids
  • Slipped disk
  • Idiopathic inflammateory myopathy
  • Beriberi from Vitamin B1 deficiency 
  • Lou Gehrig's Disease
  • Cauda equina syndrome
  • I hardly got past the "congestive heart failure." My legs were forgotten, as, with beating -- nay, racing -- heart, I read all the indications of heart failure. Yes. I exclaimed to myself! I meet the diagnosis. Just like my dad, my heart's giving out on me.

    By the following morning, common sense prevailed. Whatever my problems, I definitely do not have congestive heart failure. The leg pain, meanwhile, had paled into insignificance.

    Saturday, I walked about eight miles; today about seven. My legs are still a little stiff each day as I begin my walk, but the stiffness quickly wears off.

    I'll survive -- both my legs and my heart will survive -- to hike another hike.

    No comments: