Sunday, November 19, 2023

Ditching the boot


I'm sure we all lament the narcissistic turn my blog has taken this year.  When, of course, I'm writing anything at all.  Either I'm gloating over my travels, or I'm worrying in print about my disintegrating body.

But after two posts about my Achilles tendon, I can't just leave the subject hanging.  The matter's ready, not yet for closure, but at least for an update.  An encouraging update.

Two weeks ago, I related my submission to "the boot," that orthopedic appliance designed to keep me from using the Achilles tendon and to force me to walk somewhat stiff-legged.  My two weeks of boot purgatory ended on Wednesday -- I had already discarded it for walking inside the house two days earlier.  On Wednesday, I reported for my two-week follow-up medical appointment.  It was a short visit with the podiatrist.

He asked me if I'd experienced pain while wearing the boot?  No.  Had I felt pain walking around the house in normal shoes?  No.  He had me stand on my toes.  Did that hurt?  No, but I lacked strength to get more than half-way up on my affected foot.

Doing fine, he said.  No more boot.  No more icing my leg daily.  Continue five-minute stretches twice a day.  Get out and start walking.  Very short walks at first, but increase by increments.  If it starts hurting while you're walking, cut the length of your walk by half the next day, and continue from that new base point.  See a physical therapist for leg-strengthening exercises.

A walk in the park!  Literally.  I'm up to a mile walk -- in the park -- as of today.  I don't count my steps walking around the house and other short distances.  No pain in my ankle so far.  (But my legs do feel weak and wobbly, after two weeks of ankle immobilization.)

Interestingly enough, after the ankle pain developed in August, I also began having pain in the knee of my other leg.  X-rays showed arthritis, but I'd never before had pain in that area.  Now that I'm walking normally both without a boot and without consciously or unconsciously favoring my ankle, I've noticed the arthritis pain has greatly diminished.  I may not be out of the woods with respect to the arthritis, but it's an interesting development.

I'll continue with the prescribed regimen.  I'm optimistic.  It's so cool  to walk freely, even though I'm far from being back to my normal four to five miles a day.  But I see the progress.  

It's odd to be so happy because I'm able to do, even to a small degree, something I've always enjoyed doing, but have naturally taken for granted.  Walking for pleasure.

Maybe, with continued progress,  I'll be able to return to blogging about the Great Philosophical Issues of our time?  We'll see.

No comments: