Sunday, April 8, 2007

Boy Wonder on Cello



Since last year, the principal cellist for the Seattle Symphony has been a 23-year-old with a white Afro and a goofy smile. For those not familiar with major (or even semi-major) symphony orchestras, take my word for it -- it is definitely not their custom to hire principal players younger than 25.

Even if he weren't the principal cellist, Joshua Roman would stand out from the rest of the orchestra. The largely middle aged (or older)(or much older) musicians customarily sit stiffly in their seats, nervously tuning their instruments, awaiting the conductor, and in general looking uncomfortably aware that they are sitting on a lighted stage in front of thousands of staring Seattle concert-goers. Mr. Roman, on the other hand, looks like a high school student goofing off before class, waiting for the teacher to arrive. He grins, he talks to the musicians on either side of him, he fidgets, he helps the cellist next to him arrange her music stand.

Throughout the performance I attended last night, he kept one eye on the playing of the concertmaster (first violinist), grinning occasionally at subtleties he was apparently picking up from that playing. After the performance, as the audience shuffled its way out of Benaroya Hall and most of the other players had escaped into the wings, Roman was still standing in the middle of the stage, propping his cello up with one hand, engaged in an excited post mortem with the concertmaster and the chorus director (the orchestra had played a choral number).

Despite his age, Roman was considered a major catch by the Seattle Symphony, and critics are already wondering how much longer he will remain with us before being picked up by a more prestigious orchestra. He adds a youthful excitement to each performance. (Not surprisingly, like some other young classical musicians, he sometimes works in other genres as well -- jazz, rock, bluegrass).

It would be nice to see the same enthusiasm and excitement conveyed by the older musicians. Most no doubt feel that excitement deep within. Visiting soloists certainly display it. "Excitement" isn't everything -- maturity and depth of experience are important. And no one wants to watch orchestra players intentionally call attention to themselves while playing as part of a group. But on their surface, the regular orchestra players too often look frozen-faced, like a bunch of taciturn corporate vice presidents playing musical instruments for a hobby, a hobby with which they seem somewhat uncomfortable.

If Mick Jagger can still display -- and create -- excitement at the age of 63, I would think classical musicians, many younger than Jagger -- even just a few of them would help -- could do the same. I look forward to attending a performance where Joshua Roman plays a significant solo part.

PS -- One of the wonders of the internet is that a webpage, once published, usually stays published and accessible. This is from a webpage, created a few years back by Joshua Roman, that I discovered while checking up on his musical training:

Hello! I am thirteen years old, in the ninth grade (I'm a homeschooler), and have been playing the 'cello since I was three.

When I started out, I studied with Lacy McLarry in Oklahoma City. But in 1996 I moved to Mississippi, so now I take lessons from Peter Spurbeck at the University of Memphis. I am also in the Memphis Youth Symphony.

My favorite 'cellists are Yo-Yo Ma, Janos Starker and Pablo Casals. My favorite composer is J.S. Bach, although my favorite song is Dvorak's concerto for cello and orchestra. My favorite web page is the Internet Cello Society page.

I also enjoy playing soccer, and going to Boy Scouts, where I am Life rank and Chaplain's Aid. I have two brothers and one sister, which makes for six in the house.(not including pets.) My Dad also plays cello, but everybody else plays the violin. I got a new 'cello, made by Mr. Staszel, in the workshop of William Harris Lee. It sounds great!

No comments: