Friday, July 20, 2007

Hey there Delilah ...


What's it like in New York City? Funny you should ask. I'm about to take off for a few days to find out. Having no other vacation plans until November, I'm buzzing back for a short visit to check out the Big Apple, bum around the streets, ride the subways, avoid eye contact with the panhandlers, stay clear of steam pipe explosions, drink un-drinkable coffee, gawk at the big buildings, hang out in the museums, and in general absorb a bit of the ambience of one of the coolest cities on earth.

And yes, for those of you who have been back there with me, I'll be staying once more at the Belleclaire Hotel on the Upper West Side, near the Natural History Museum. Prices are unbelievably good (for NYC); the hotel's not bad, if you don't mind sharing bathroom facilities with two other rooms (which I don't); and the neighborhood couldn't be better, just blocks from Central Park. No chance to watch the Yankees play this time, but I do think I'll return for another roam around the Park Slope area of Brooklyn, adjoining Prospect Park. Very nice comfortable area, wouldn't mind living there. (But who could afford it?)

Also, take note! This is the last summer that the amusement park at Coney Island will be open -- after over a century, it falls victim to our changing tastes in having fun. A tough but good-hearted street kid, stabbed through the heart by Mickey Mouse. The death of an American icon, whose gritty charms have been evoked in countless movies and books. I've got to see it before it dies.

And underlying my entire visit is my recurrent regret that I failed to take a year after college to live in this city. I may well have found myself lonely, overwhelmed, broke, stressed out, and probably unemployed. But what an experience, and what memories to look back on!

But for the next four days, anyway, I can still create a few memories.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Donny -

It's Denny's friend Jay Cosel. In Boston now, with denny as a matter of fact, and he directed me to your blog. nice work. just wanted to drop a line and say if you're headed to coney island, be sure to ride the cyclone (assuming you have not already). I had no idea that the place was closing down. shame. anyway, take care, have a great trip -

jay

Tawny said...

No Fair! I want to go too...

Rainier96 said...

Hi Jay,

Who did you say you were again? Just kidding!

I walked around the NYU "campus" Sunday night, and made a special point of locating the law school, recalling that's where you were spending an ungodly portion of three years of your life. Nice looking building, maybe the most impressive NYU building I saw, with the little courtyard in front.

I was planning to see Coney Island yesterday, but the region was totally soaked by a full day's rain. We rarely get rain like that in Seattle -- where you feel you're standing under a waterfall! But today was beautiful, and I subway-ed myself out to Coney Island. It was kind of anticlimactic, and the whole beach seemed a little sad. I didn't ride any of the rides. The Cyclone looked fairly innocuous compared with other wooden roller coasters I've seen. (Maybe I'd feel different if I'd actually gotten on it!) I understand that the roller coaster at the now torn-down Luna Park was a killer.

Good hearing from you. I didn't know Denny was traveling out to Boston. Glad you guys can still get together.

And Tawny! Hi! Sorry you weren't with me, too. I would have treated you to a "small snack" at Essex House. Hahahaha! My gawd!