Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New year gloom


January, the month of beginnings. The hopeful New Year baby, cheerfully pushing aside the tired Old Year graybeard. A time to be enthusiastic, optimistic.

And yet, I'm depressed. Not for my own life, which is purring along quite smoothly, thank you. But for the civilization in which I live.

Is it just me? Don't you have the feeling that nothing is working out right? That we're not just going through a downbeat phase, but that we are well advanced into a long-term era of secular decline? That we -- you and me, the folks apt to be reading this post -- resemble those reasonably well-off Romans in the Late Empire, nice folks who went about worrying about getting promotions and helping their kids get into good schools, not noticing what was happening around them? That the economic foundations of their civilization had already collapsed and that they were living off the assets of the past, that their culture was increasingly debased, that the barbarians were storming the gates -- maybe not yet gates close at hand, but Roman gates they had never stormed before?

I don't mean by all this just that I'm perturbed that the Pac-10 and Big Ten did so poorly against the SEC and other boorish, no-account conferences, although that hasn't improved my mood any. No, my thoughts turn to even weightier matters.

For example, in yesterday's New York Times, columnist David Brooks argues that the average American has lost confidence in our political institutions, in our scientists, in our foreign policy, and in our business leaders. Most of all, the average American has totally lost confidence in what Brooks calls "our educated classes." "Every single idea associated with the educated class has grown more unpopular over the past year," he claims.

I've spent too much time watching football this past week, which has given me an exposure to the world of television that I usually lack. The commercials! Ad after ad glorifies an image of the American citizen, and especially the adult American male, as an idiotic, loud-mouthed adolescent -- an ersatz teenager, with all of a teenager's understandable immaturity and gross behaviors, but with none of a true teenager's hopes of growing up and becoming educated into a more intelligent and sensitive human being.

I especially marvel at the televised trailers for upcoming movies, movie after movie displaying an obsession with bleak post-apocalyptic dystopias, cops gone wrong, autos consumed by fireballs, and heroes (or are they villains? who knows?) shooting, slugging, slicing, blowing up, vaporizing and otherwise eliminating everyone who gets in their way, as though human beings were disposable adversaries in a computer game.

Look at the films by major studios opening in January alone: Daybreakers (plague has changed most citizens into vampires); Book of Eli (father and son try to survive in a bleak post-apocalyptic world); Legion (God's fed up and has sent angels to terminate his experiment); Dread (college student taking part in case study uses it to play on the fears of his peers); Edge of Darkness (cop on rampage -- supposedly a good cop, but I didn't like the looks of the trailer); Bitch Slap (no comment). Some of these may be artistically sound movies, and some may be movies I'll actually decide to watch, but that's not my point. The point is that similarly themed movies come at us month after month -- and that movies with these violent and grossly pessimistic themes tend to be the films that best succeed commercially. That fact, I submit, shows something disturbing about our popular culture -- and our popular culture is the measure of our civilization.

I'm worried and I'm depressed. But I'll try to look on the bright side: we still don't entertain ourselves by watching humans being fed to the lions, although Texas's obsession with the dealth penalty does give me pause. Someone will write me that I should just not watch movies or TV if it's going to disturb me all that much. You're right, I'm free to choose my own amusements, just as the more finicky citizens of Rome were free to write poetry and play the lyre and ignore what was going on downtown in the Coliseum -- but shutting their eyes to what was happening to their own civilization didn't save the Empire, did it?

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to check my local newspaper and see which theaters are showing Avatar this weekend.

10 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

The masses seem to have moved sharply away from depth, both intellectual and emotional, in favor of shallow imagery and empty entertainment.

The most popular love story around today is the "Twilight" saga, which features a 17-year-old girl "falling in love with" a 100+-year-old vampire, despite considerable emotional abuse, simply because he sparkles. Most people openly admit the main reason they like the movie version is that the lead actors spend so much time shirtless.

A president was elected whose entire appeal was based on the image he sold in the campaign rather than whether he would make a good president.

CNN is hurting because they are making a serious attempt to move away from bias, and toward more traditional, neutral reportage. Meanwhile, MSNBC and Fox are on the rise for the exact opposite.

I'm routinely amazed by the way so many people act when I make even the slightest attempt to begin a conversation about anything that actually matters. It's like their brains instinctively recoil from the process of reason, and go back to thinking about the latest fashion trends, or how hot the actor who plays Edward Cullen is.

Rainier96 said...

And you're in a college environment! Scary. (But still a world better than high school, right?)

Rainier96 said...

To my readers: I have to take this opportunity -- despite the embarrassment I'm sure it causes him -- to let you all know that, mid-way through his sophomore year at the University of Colorado, Zachary has never received a grade lower than an A minus.

And he's not majoring in social work. Chemical engineering major with a philosophy minor.

Zachary, you deserve a round of applause. :-)

Tawny said...

Wait a minute!

"movie after movie displaying an obsession with bleak post-apocalyptic dystopias, cops gone wrong"

Both "The book of Eli" (not about a father and son by the way) and "Edge of Darkness" are my movies and i need them to do well so i don't fall in to the bleakness that you have descended in to :)

The Book of Eli is actually about the Bible. You may find it interesting.

Rainier96 said...

"And who is the mastermind behind this destruction of American Democracy? WARNER BROS., that's who!!"

Hahaha. I know, you're just giving the public what it wants. Actually, Book of Eli sounds interesting. It's not any one movie that bothers me, it's the fact that they all seem pessimistic or violent or both. And I definitely don't mean that every movie has to be The Sound of Music!!!

Zachary Freier said...

So The Sound of Music isn't pessimistic or violent? You must be a Nazi! (Oh yes, I went there.)

Tawny said...

So when are you going to make it down here for a visit. I'd love to show you around Warner Bros. so you can really see what I do. It's a mystery to most people.

Tawny said...

PS. We have a spare room all ready for you. :)

Rainier96 said...

I was hoping to make it down there in February, but that's still a bit iffy. I'd love to see the WB lot from the perspective of an insider. Eat in the commissary, whatever that is. And hang out in your office!

Since Tobey Maguire and I are buds now, I realize that everyone at WB will have tremendous respect for me. But I hope they'll treat me like just another average VIP.

Rainier96 said...

Zach -- maybe they'll re-make The Sound of Music from the point of view of a Nazi commandant. They could call it Wicked 2!