Friday, January 22, 2010

Trial by student body


If I hadn't become an attorney, as I've intimated in earlier posts, I might have drifted into teaching. I've also acknowledged that the realities of trying to teach bored, apathetic youngsters probably would have quickly exhausted my limited reserves of patience and empathy for people radically different from myself, as well as my tolerance for prolonged frustration.

In other words, I doubt I could have handled the kinds of students who desperately need skilled teaching -- the kinds of students who aren't apt to find a way to learn on their own anyway, and for whom formal teaching is almost superfluous. If were to teach successfully, the kids I taught would have to be the right kind of kids.

The high school students I worked with Wednesday, helping them prepare for their mock trial competition in March, were the right kind of kids.

When I arrived at the high school at 5 p.m., a large group of students was already chattering in front of the locked library door, waiting for the adviser to arrive and let them in. By 5:10, virtually every student signed up for the program -- probably 30 at least -- had arrived. The adviser, a young attorney from a downtown firm, has spent every Wednesday evening (and some weekends) of his own time since October working with these kids. He obviously enjoys working with them, and they were relaxed and friendly with him. Watching this attorney and the kids interact, I couldn't think of any way the legal profession could possibly present a more likable face to the community.

The kids are divided into two prosecution teams and two defense teams. Wednesday's "scrimmage" cast me as an assistant U.S. Attorney, trying the case against one of the two student defense teams, with the adviser as judge, ruling on motions and objections. We presented opening statements to the jury, and then direct and cross examination of the government's four witnesses. Next Wednesday, the defense will present its own four witnesses (including the defendant) for direct and cross, and we will wind up the trial with short closing arguments.

Those students from the three teams not directly participating in Wednesday's scrimmage occupied the jury box, ran several video cameras, or simply watched and took notes for their own use later.

This same "scrimmage" process will be repeated, in the weeks to come, with other practicing attorneys working with the other teams.

The kids were well prepared, enthusiastic, articulate, intense and serious while playing their parts. They were funny, exuberant, and in typically high teen-aged spirits before and after the "performance." They are the kinds of kids you'd expect to find involved in orchestra or debate or the school newspaper, if not signed up for a mock trial competition. They are the kinds of kids most parents hope for.

I was delighted, and I was impressed.

---------------------
Photo is a stock photo of mock trial participants, not one of the Seattle participants

3 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

One of my friends in my high school speech and debate team also did mock trial. I can't imagine the dedication that would take. Furthermore, he did this while taking advanced courses (I believe 3 AP courses, in his junior year alone!).

But I digress.

These sorts of academic programs are, I believe, the best thing any high school student can get involved in. They are challenging, rewarding, and fantastic for making friends. Indeed, the bond that forms from shared mental struggles seems (from my experience, at least) far stronger than that of sports.

Rainier96 said...

I agree with you 100 percent.

Best move you made in high school (besides getting excellent grades) was taking part in debate. For all the reasons you state.

Rainier96 said...

And, analogously, for me it was working on the school paper and other publications.