Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blog holiday


You can hear the linotypes shutting down one by one, and the presses grinding to a stop. The night shift janitors are sweeping lead slugs and scrap paper off the floor.

Yes, the Northwest Corner once again is shutting down (temporarily, I hasten to add), and the staff has been given a couple of weeks off with pay. I'll be off to Iran in mid-week. My plans are to be back in Seattle on April 17. Of course, I don't forget that this is the same Iran that held our embassy staff hostage for 444 days back under the Carter administration. But, hey, I'm sure we're all more mature and grown up now. Right?

I'll be taking plenty of photos, and keeping plenty of notes and journal entries. If, in fact, all goes as planned, you can expect a couple of posts on Iran shortly after my return. One, attempting to describe some of what I saw and heard; the other giving my subjective impressions and interpretation of it all. I usually suspect that most folks aren't all that interested in hearing about what a great trip I had -- although I tell them anyway -- but this destination seems unusual enough that I can pretend I'm a roving reporter (or at least a travel writer) and not just the guy who makes all his friends sit quietly and watch his vacation slide show.

See y'all soon, insh'allah.

No comments: