Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy anniversary


Four years ago -- March 20, 2007 -- I published my first post. A photo of myself sitting on a haystack, together with a paragraph wondering what I would ever write about.

Blogs were still a vague concept in my mind. Actually, I now realize, a blog can be almost anything you want. Some are glorified tweets about daily trivia, some are impressive photo displays, some are highly focused analyses concerning a specific topic of interest, some are tearful expressions of a teenager's existential angst.

After 394 posts, my blog has proved to be what I suspected it would be within the first month -- short essays on absolutely any topic that appeals to me. The Northwest Corner has been heavy on book and movie reviews -- because I read a lot, and enjoy certain types of movies. At times, especially during 2008, it's also been heavy on politics. The weather and the seasons seem to get discussed a lot, because, I suppose, I'm introverted, a bit moody, and affected by nature. Beyond those topics -- whatever comes to mind.

After my original "boy on the haystack" post, my next three posts denounced President Bush, admired Bertrand Russell, and contemplated visits by extraterrestial beings. The formula was just about in place.

Four years is a long lifetime for a blog, but I think this blog will be around for a while longer. In fact, I may republish my haystack photo each year on this anniversary -- a sort of tribute to the cover drawing of "Eustace Tilley" by which each year's anniversary is celebrated by the New Yorker.

Yes. Our publications do have much in common.

No comments: