Friday, October 16, 2015

Now she is six


When I was One,
I had just begun.

When I was Two,
I was nearly new.

When I was Three,
I was hardly Me.

When I was Four,
I was not much more.

When I was Five,
I was just alive.

But now I am Six, I’m as clever as clever,

So I think I’ll be six now for ever and ever. 

Maury at 2 weeks


My eldest great niece, Maury, turned six this week.  It hardly seems possible that it's been six years since I posted my first greetings to her, quoting Robert Louis Stevenson's greetings to his godchild.  Or that -- in that blink of an eye -- she has covered almost half the distance from birth to teenager.

If I greeted her birth with words from R.L.S., it seems even more fitting to celebrate her Sixth Birthday with Milne's poem, "The End," from his book of children's poetry, Now We Are Six.  The poem marks "the end" of Milne's book, but only the beginning of Maury's exciting life to come.

No comments: