Thursday, January 5, 2017

Miracle


Over a month ago, my printer stopped working.  Despite all my shaking of the machine and my shoving of paper into it, the paper still wouldn't thread.

Almost exactly a month ago, my PC's internet connection became partially disabled.  Each time I tried to open a page, the monitor screen told me that my Ethernet was improperly configured with respect to my IP number.  Strangely, I was nevertheless permitted to open certain often-used pages: Facebook, this blog, my Comcast on-line mail, Google, Yahoo (but without photos) and Wikipedia.  Nothing else.

On-line guidance was of no help.  So, while procrastinating about how to handle the situation, I began relying solely on my iPhone.  And stopped printing.

Two weeks ago, I broke my iPhone, and, after its being sent to a laboratory for repairs, was told that it was unrepairable.

Desperate, two days ago I bought a new iPhone.  I spent the evening adding apps for all the websites -- especially those involving banking, credit cards, and investing -- that I could no longer reach on my PC.

Yesterday -- I discovered my PC working perfectly.  Spontaneously.  Without my doing anything.

Within an hour of that dazzling discovery, I made one more attempt to use my printer.  It worked.

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away; Blessed be the name of the Lord!
--Job 1:21

Or -- in my case -- in inverse order.  Whether I have been brushed by the hand of an amused Supreme Deity or -- as is more likely -- the hands of the malicious elves of Cyberspace, or even by Lord Bill Gates himself, all I can do is bow my head and offer up thanks. 

And reflect on how small I am, and how great are the inscrutable Powers that direct and guide my tiny life.

No comments: