Thursday, August 23, 2018

Purgatory in Seattle


Since my welcome hike to Snow Lake last Friday (see prior post), life has been -- well, not hell exactly, but maybe purgatory.  Like living atop a backyard barbecue.

I complained about it a week ago.  We then had a couple of days respite -- a day or so when we were allowed to walk the earth among the living.  And then back into the fires.  Record high temperatures (for Seattle), combined with smoke that registered in the "unhealthy for all living things" category.

The smoke was everywhere, indoors and out.  The nights weren't cool enough to significantly reduce the indoor temperatures.  You folks from elsewhere have air conditioning, which would have solved some of my problems.  We've never needed air conditioning in the eminently healthful Northwest Corner.

We were advised to stay indoors and not exercise.  Nevertheless, I waited until dusk and did my usual walk through the swirling fumes.  I went to a Mariners game Monday night.  Only a few people were wearing the recommended face masks, but you could see the smoke diffracting the game lights and dramatically dimming the downtown skyline.  (Mariners beat Houston in a thriller, thank you.) 

The sun was a red disk, both morning and evening.  An evil red.  The skies were cloudless, but gray.  The smoke held the day's heat close to the earth, slowing its ability to radiate into the night sky.

The total effect on me was physical and psychological enervation.  I couldn't concentrate well enough to read anything more lengthy or complex than newspaper articles.  Aside from my enforced evening marches, I couldn't muster the energy to move around.  I vegetated, while in the background the Trumpian madness filled the news reports.  The whole world seemed to be teetering on the edge of dystopia.

I obviously had no energy to blog.  (Hahaha -- the main point I wish to make.)

I woke up this morning feeling the air cooler, as had been predicted.  And it was lightly drizzling, which had not been predicted.  Westerly winds and a little bit of drizzle have done wonders for reducing the smoke in the air -- at least for the moment. 

I return gradually to life.  My brain begins working.  My curiosity begins extending beyond the twin marvels of Manafort and Cohen.  I think I've survived.

My weather app assures me that we'll have highs in the lower 70s and high 60s for the next ten days.  The smoke shouldn't be returning.  I love it!

No comments: