Thursday, February 7, 2019

Cornish adventure


Just six weeks from today I will be freshly arrived in Delhi, India.  I remember an eagerly-awaited trip in my early teens, which I awaited by counting down the days on my calendar --  beginning at six weeks. Those six weeks seemed to last forever. 

I have no illusions that the six weeks that lie ahead will pass as slowly as did six weeks as a teenager.

But, although India will probably be the travel high-point of my year of 2019, I'm also looking forward to a hike in England in mid-May.  I'll again be hiking with a good friend from UW days, and with members of his extended family -- the same group I had the pleasure of walking with last spring in Scotland.

After hiking the north Highlands of Scotland last year, this year we'll move far to the south -- hiking the Cornwall coast from St. Ives to Falmouth, rounding the southernmost tip of England at Lizard Point (and the most westerly point at Land's End).

The hike will be only 57 miles in total length, with no mountain peaks to climb over.  But I'm not deceived.  I've walked short stretches of English coastline before.  I spent far more time walking down into one creek bed after another, and up the other side, than I did walking on pleasantly flat clifftops.  We will be hiking nine days, with a one day layover in Penzance, half way through the hike.

I'll also spend a day in London before the hike, and a couple or three of days in London with my friend Jim afterwards.

When I hike in Britain, I'm of course all about historical and literary allusions.  So in St. Ives, I'll be looking for kits, cats, sacks, and wives.  And in Penzance?  Surely we'll run into pirates?

No comments: