Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Raindrops keep falling on my head


Today was to be Seattle's 29th consecutive day without measurable precipitation. As such, it would have set a new record for the months of May and June. We have had a really remarkable stretch of beautiful weather for this time of year.

But, of course, the rains did arrive, just in time -- at about 5 p.m. Nothing of Biblical proportions, you understand. Not at first anything you'd dignify with the term "a shower." Just a few drops on the car's windshield, just enough that I turned the wipers on for a swipe or two. Around 6 p.m., however, we had a bit more, enough rain to dampen the street. That should be "measurable" rainfall. So much for the record.

I should have known it would happen, because today is the day that my sister flies up from California to attend a multi-day business conference. She won't be surprised. We both grew up in this state, after all, and no one up here relies on sunny weather until we get safely past the Fourth of July. Still, it would have been nice to show her Seattle at its best.

Despite my disappointment, I'm happy. When I walk out the door I breathe in the unique fragrance released by that first rain that breaks a period of drought. It's beautiful. I love it. I feel like going out and walking in the rain. Actually, I would, if the drizzle hadn't already stopped.

If it weren't for my visitor, and the hopes of breaking a record, the prospect of a few days of refreshing wetness from the heavens would delight me. How sick is that? Hey, no apologies. I'm a Northwesterner.

-------------------
(6-18-09) No rain fell at Sea-Tac airport, where the official records are kept, and so we did in fact tie the record of 29 days.

No comments: