Thursday, July 23, 2009

This kid's an Ironman!


I naturally congratulate folks who run 10k races successfully. Simple mathematics require that the congratulations be doubled and quadrupled when half and full marathons are run. I'm left in awe for folks who complete a triathlon -- especially because I'm an abysmal swimmer myself -- and I announced with pride on this blog Denny's triumphal completion of the King's Trail Triathlon (on Maui) and the Santa Cruz Sentinal Triathlon, run during the summer and fall, respectively, of 2007.

But Denny's now moved up to the next level. Sunday, with me and the rest of his family cheering at the finish line, he completed the Vineman Ironman 70.3 Triathlon, beginning in Guerneville, north of Santa Rosa. He started off with a "refreshing" 1.2 mile swim in the Russian River, leaped out of the river and onto his bike for a 56 mile bike ride, and then "wound down" with a half-marathon (13.1 mile) run in 95 degree weather. The heat just about did me in, and I was just standing around as a spectator.

This was Denny's first try at the Ironman level of competition. He finished in 5 hours, 59 minutes, and 7.6 seconds -- placing 870th out of 2,286 competitors.

Fantastic job, Denny. Congratulations!

No comments: