Saturday, June 2, 2007

Maui no ka oi


Denny writes from Sonoma that he is busily boxing up his bicycle for shipment to Hawaii. Next weekend, June 9, he participates in his first triathlon, the Kings Trail Triathlon, near Makena, Maui. This little event will demand that he swim in the ocean for 1500 meters, bicycle for 40 km (24.9 miles), and finish off with a 10k foot race (6.2 miles).

This will be Denny's first triathlon, and the first by anyone in our family, so far as I know. He warmed up for the event by his very respectable finish in the Los Angeles Marathon in March (4 hours, 26 minutes, 37 seconds). The best finish in the Kings Trail Triathlon last year was about 2 hours, 12 minutes, which is very comparable to a typical best finish in a marathon. So the two events are equally demanding in endurance, with the triathlon also requiring effort not only in the legs, but in upper body muscles that I doubt that I myself even possess!

Recalling that the Great Dens has had four arthroscopic surgeries on a bum knee makes his endeavors even more amazing and admirable. We all wish we could be in Maui to cheer you on, Denny. (Of course, we all wish we could be in Maui anytime!)

Good luck, le'a le'a! (have fun!), and bring home another medal.


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Holy cow! Good luck Denny!!!

Though I take exception to that bit about Denny being the first triathalete in our family.

Little known fact - I am in fantastic shape myself. I can easily stroll to the fridge, roll back to the couch, and take a refreshing swim in a big stein of Hefeweizen.

In fact I'm in training for the biggest race of all this year... Oktoberfest... for only serious contenders. Smoke THAT, Mr. Maui No Ka Fancyshorts.

Rainier96 said...

I'm sure we're all good relativists, as a history professor of mine used to comment. Who's to say that your own form of triathlon is any less valid than Denny's? Not me, certainly. (But make mine an India pale ale, please, not a Hefeweizen.)

:p