Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Cloudy skies over the Nation's capital


A worried Lincoln

Washington may be one of the most beautiful capitals in the world, unless we include capitals -- like Rome -- that are adorned with picturesque ruins as well as with buildings still in use as buildings. 

During my visit over the past four days, the shiny, white marble of Washington's classical edifices was often highlighted against skies dark with gathering storm clouds, and illuminated by flashes of lightning at twilight.  What could a partisan (such as I), with a mind inclined to obvious metaphors, conclude but that the darkness was a Trumpian darkness, a malignant darkness dimming the beauty of the American Republic.

Washington Monument
under stormy clouds

Except, the darkness and the clouds were actually quite lovely in their own way.  As Trump's personal darkness decidedly is not.

I did the usual.  Museums.  Buildings.  Parks.  Riding Metro, back and forth from my hotel near National Airport.  And walking -- I covered over 25 miles during just the two complete days I spent in the city. Rather than describe further the city, often shining -- whether under bright sun or under lowering clouds -- I'll just let you look at some of my photos.

Bikers in front of the
Smithsonian "castle" 


Gen. Lafayette on horseback
Eisenhower office building

Press in front of Supreme Court
National Airport



Lincoln Memorial

No comments: