Thursday, May 10, 2018

Off to Washington (the other one)


He went off to Congress an' served a spell
Fixin' up the Government an' laws as well
Took over Washington so I've heared tell
An' patched up a crack in the Liberty Bell.


Where is Davy when we need him? 

I'm off to Washington myself tomorrow.  I'd love fix up the government (and laws as well).  And the problem of the crack in the Liberty Bell sounds quaint when one considers the many cracks (and crackpots) which today find a home in our nation's Capital.  But I never kilt myself a bar when I was only three, and while the pen may be mightier than the sword, I don't feel capable of using my pen to kill bears -- or to defeat people acting worse than bears.

So, no.  I'm off to Washington for a few days, but as a simple tourist.  I expect to wear off a little shoe leather and put a few miles on my phone's pedometer.  I was just reminded that the Mall, alone, is two miles from one end to the other.

It's a great town, politics aside, with lots to see, monuments to gaze upon, free museums in which to hang out, and lots of fellow tourists to rub shoulders with.  And many miles to walk.

I return late Monday night, and -- if past visits to D.C. suggest anything -- I'll have comments to make when I return.

No comments: