Sunday, June 3, 2007

High School Debate: It shouldn't be rocket science


Seattle is in the midst of the nearly four-week-long Seattle International Film Festival ("SIFF"), the 33rd year of the event that bills itself as the nation's largest film festival. This year, the festival presents 227 feature films, 61 documentaries, and 117 short films, showing in seven theaters around the city.

Last night, I saw "Rocket Science," a dramatic comedy so good that it probably will come back in general release later in the year (it's actually scheduled for "limited release" in August). Centered on high school debate, the film was written and directed by Jeffrey Blitz, the director of the surprise documentary hit about spelling bees, "Spellbound" (2003).

The nerdy hero of the film, played by 16-year-old Canadian actor Reece Daniel Thompson, has a stutter so severe that it renders him virtually speechless. He falls desperately in love with a member of the debate team, a cute but self-centered classmate who offhandedly suggests that he join her on the team. She quickly loses interest in him, when he repeatedly fails to articulate even the first sentence of his presentation in his allotted eight minutes, and ends up after each attempt either locking himself in misery in the janitor's closet, or vomiting in the boys' room. But he remains painfully obsessed with the girl, and with proving himself worthy of her love by succeeding as a debater and going on to the New Jersey state competition.

The audience was thus prepared for a highly unlikely "Rocky"-esque denouement, but it never arrives. Our hero never wins -- or even completes -- a competition, and he never wins the girl. He desperately tries to overcome his speech handicap by sessions with the school's "professional," who admits that speech impediments weren't really his forte, and that it was too bad that the student wasn't hyperactive, a problem that he really knew how to handle.

In a conclusion that was bittersweet for those of us praying for his ultimate triumph, our hero contents himself with smaller victories. He learns to set his presentation to rhyme and to present it, more or less understandably, in a sing-song, based on the "Battle Hymn of the Republic." And he finally succeeds in ordering a pizza, a "P" word that had long been beyond his reach, although "pepperoni" still seems to elude him. His adult self, in a voice over, assures us that these first small steps were only the beginning of the young man's eventual ability to say what he needed to say, by focusing on the content without worrying about how he sounded or without trying to imitate some ideal speaker.

As a child, I never had to contend with a stutter. But my heart overflowed with empathy, nevertheless, because for years I would totally freeze when forced to speak before a group, unless I had detailed notes to follow. (And yet, sitting in class I could debate one-on-one with the teacher for half the class session, to the delighted relief of the rest of the class.) Even in law school moot court, a mandatory part of our first year curriculum, standing and arguing before a three-judge panel caused me to become tongue-tied. A trial attorney was the last thing I thought I'd ever be, or want to be, as a lawyer.

Even now, I'm not a competent extemporaneous speaker, and can occasionally feel myself going into my old teenaged panic mode -- a blank mind, a paralyzed tongue, and a buzzing in my ears -- if called upon to speak formally with no advance warning. But like the young man in "Rocket Science" (speaking isn't rocket science, he notes at the end of the movie, although he's still unable to force the word "science" past his tongue), I eventually learned that when I focus on the importance of what I want to say, and ignore as unimportant the personal impression I think I'm making on my audience while saying it, I can work my way rather smoothly around what is apparently a congenital weakness.

After the film, both the director and the teenaged lead appeared and answered questions from the audience. Blitz said the movie was autobiographical, to some extent. He also had stuttered badly as a boy, and he also had forced himself to suffer horribly as a stutterer by signing up for debate. As "Rocket Science" ends, Blitz permits his teenage alter ego no success in either love or in debate competition, but shows us that the seeds have been planted for him to achieve a better understanding of himself, an understanding that eventually will allow him to overcome or work around his stutter. Blitz wanted to present a realistic picture of an interesting high school boy who does not become a champion, but who achieves real growth as a person. He felt we already had too many "Rocky" films, and that we really didn't need to view another.

He did admit, however, somewhat sheepishly, that in his senior year he and his debate partner won the New Jersey state debate championship.

6 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

I've never had to deal with a stutter. Well, I suppose a stutter does show up in my speech every now and then, but it's never been a dominant thing and is usually quite rare. I have, however, been through high school speech and debate for one year. No, I didn't join the team because of anyone I knew on the team - in fact I knew none of them. My English teacher (who was the coach of the team until the year before) recommended me for extemporaneous speaking because of my skill at writing sentences, of all things. I had tremendous difficulty in the beginning, because I had never been comfortable with public speaking. I got used to it, though, and had a rather successful novice year. But I definitely can sympathize with how a kid in a situation like the one portrayed in the movie would feel.

Rainier96 said...

Yeah, I actually thought of you when I saw the movie, because you'd mentioned being on the speech team in your MySpace profile.

This poor guy could hardly speak even casually to classmates, and he was hopeless in competition. I've heard your voice on that YouTube clip you did when you were "running for president" -- you have a very clear, well-modulated voice. A little more expressiveness would be my only suggestion, but that'll just come with practice.

You're very smart getting into speech in high school. The idea terrified me so much I didn't even consider it. It would have helped a lot to work out some of my fears and mental blocks earlier rather than later. I still need to prepare mentally ahead of time for any presentation beyond a minute or two -- I can't compose a detailed argument in my head while I'm speaking, which is what I guess you're learning to do in extemporaneous speaking.

Anyway, good luck in speech next year.

If the movie ever makes it to Grand Junction, give it a look. It was quite funny as well as moving -- sort of Napoleon Dynamite with a higher IQ. I have a lot of respect for the director, having seen both this one and Spellbound.

Suzanne said...

Ah, public speaking. The risk! The folly!

Standing up as the center of attention in front of 10 people or 300 people, all in their underwear… yeah, that never worked for me, either. (The hoi polloi in skivvies - distracting on a variety of levels).

The reality is a sea of blank faces… all critically analyzing syntax, pronunciation, appearance, voice modulation, gesticulation, unconscious mannerisms, bad hair because I had to walk the dog this morning, and dubiously coordinated vintage tomato red jacket … er.... okay. So I spoke in front of a large group today, and the feeling is a bit raw.

Logically, I am completely aware that NO one is analyzing me as critically as I imagine, and, hyperventilate they are. Mostly, they are wondering if THEY look okay (sadly, women spend a lot of time on this). Others are making notes, or preparing for their own moment on the blocks. The most confident among them are planning their trip to Dubrovnik, ignoring me completely.

So today, I tried to make eye contact, I tried not to fidget. I completely fear the mental blocks but I encountered none. I believe I have cultivated the relatively successful approach of pretending. Pretending that I know what I’m doing, know what I'm talking about, whilst pretending I’m a lady, etc. It has saved me in the past.

Yet your quote, "I eventually learned that when I focus on the importance of what I want to say, and ignore as unimportant the personal impression I think I'm making on my audience while saying it,"... is, well…. one of those states of Nirvana I would like to achieve. Just… brilliant. I have copied it and will attend to it as necessary, when I find myself worrying the pretty package at the expense of the message.

Rainier96 said...

Hi Suzanne! Welcome to the world-famed (and under the nervous scrutiny of Home Security) "Northwest Corner."

Very cool that I was able to time this post just in time for your own presentation. Who did you speak to? And what about? Auf Deutsch, I assume? :-D

Aside from your insecurity about the tomato red jacket (thank God, a suit is just a suit for men), and having to pretend that you're a "lady" (having to pretend that I'm an attorney is even worse), I've shared all of your fears about my audiences. Glad to hear it all went well -- they usually do, despite the damp palms in advance.

I'll be observing critically when you deliver your speech, welcoming us to Stuttgart at Christmas! ("My gawd, I think she's hyperventilating!")

Suzanne said...

I spoke to the de facto governing body of mil spouses in Stuttgart, the Stuttgart Community Spouses Club - basically a bunch of uppercrust flag-officer wives in the Stuttgart community who get together to raise and disseminate funds to the mil community. Oh, did I mention I'm a board member?

So, yesterday the first board meeting of the 2008 fiscal year was held, where the 2007 officers turn over their posts to the newbies (like me). I gave my report as the incoming Scholarship Chairperson. We have $40,000 this year to award to select college-bound high school students and spouses, so I'm actually excited about my duties - assembling the committee, choosing judges. But I have to say these board meetings are looking dreadful. It's all very formal. Ever heard of Robert's Rules of Order on parliamentary procedures? Well, I hadn't. But those and our bylaws guide our meetings. Yeah, we party like it's 1879.

Anyway, I think the benefit of getting older (if you look closely.... very closely... and tilt your head to a 13.54 degree angle :-) is the perspective gained... and with it the general slackening of the self-battering of youth. Perhaps I'm digressing, but for me it definitely relates to public speaking.

When you're older, you realize that screwups are like farts. Everybody generates them, and they eventually float away. You get up and move on. We all judge ourselves too harshly. When we're young... we think we're the only 'tard in the room. Then we grow up and realize everyone thinks they lay claim to our title. So narcissistic, aren't we?

Now I'm sure I've digressed. I should probably see the movie. :-)

I may have been exaggerating about my speaking anxiety in my post, because I did have one experience that forever changed the way I experience speaking in public... happened several years ago in San Diego. Basically, I'm a lot better off than I used to be.

Long story short - at an epidemiology conference, I gave a powerpoint I thought was a disaster. Worst delivery, I sounded like an idiot, they know I'm a fraud...you name it, I thought it. As I walked back to my seat, I was mentally rehearsing the "please let me have another shot, please don't fire me" conversation I was sure was imminent. When I sat down, my boss politely (so I thought) congratulated me. I sat for the next hour or so, quietly planning for my exit interview.

Well, at the end of the conference that year, I received an award for "best oral presentation." I couldn't believe it - could have knocked me over with a feather. That was such a powerful lesson for me - and I've never forgotten my own assessment of my performance. It just goes to show... we are our own worst critics.

Rainier96 said...

Gosh, where to begin?

Well, yeah, I fell in love with Robert's Rules when I was about 11 (I actually remember checking a copy out of the library, for light reading!), so I'm the wrong person to commiserate with you there. But I know what you mean about underestimating your performance. Did it after high school exams, do it today during and after trials. I certainly AM my own worst critic. (Although others occasionally add their 2 cents worth, too.) :D

And you're right, when you do screw up it doesn't seem like the end of the world as much as it used to. The sun will still rise tomorrow, no matter what. Barring a successful suicide, it will rise for you as well. :-)

I'm impressed by your social involvement in the military expat community. And the scholarship committee certainly sounds worthwhile. Of course, $40,000 would pay one year's tuition for one student at one Ivy League school -- but it's a start, and probably buys more education for more kids at public schools (although even state colleges are getting awfully expensive.)

So it's cool that you're doing worthwhile stuff. It's going to be interesting to get some idea from you as to what it's like to live as Americans in Germany (as opposed to being tourists) when we visit.