Sunday, September 6, 2009

Before the lights


I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.

I made my fateful debut as a Hollywood actor last night. High above the glittering city -- "a thousand stories, waiting to be told" -- on the romantic twentieth floor of the Seattle Municipal Building. The quiet, understated elegance of the Seattle building permit department was electric, for one night only, with technology and talent.

Technically, I suppose, they may have called me an "extra," but it's not the title -- it's what one does with it. Frankly, I wowed 'em.

Tobey Maguire was at the counter, trying to obtain a building permit from an obtuse city bureaucrat. I was first in line behind him, waiting my turn, bearing a roll of architect's drawings thoughtfully provided me by the prop department. Yes, standing immediately behind Tobey Maguire. Let's just say that I had Spiderman's back.

I listened to the tedious dialogue between naive young permit applicant and cynical city official. My face, my posture, my entire demeanor, projected ennui, impatience, disdain, restlessness, boredom. I didn't play the part of a bored bystander. I was a bored bystander. I was Everyman. I was Everyman waiting in line, delayed by banality, watching his life pass wastefully by. Stanislavsky would have gasped with admiration. No, of course I didn't steal the scene from Tobey. "The play is the thing," after all. I but provided the vibrant background that allowed Tobey to shine like a jewel.

I heard the director murmuring to his assistants after my performance. After all twenty or so takes, in fact. It was clear that he was stunned, having received far more from me as an actor than he had believed possible. He said nothing to me. He didn't need to. We're both professionals.

Filming continues for another week. I'm simply pleased that I could make my own small contribution to the success of the film. Jesse offers to help me set up my own personal imdb.com publicity page. Yes, yes. I suppose that must be the next step.

5 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

Is this for real? If so, impressive!

Rainier96 said...

Zachary!! Thank you for writing!

The part about my being an extra in the film, and standing behind Tobey Maguire during the building permit scene -- those are completely for real. It came about as I got acquainted with everyone when they used my house as part of their set (see earlier posts).

The importance of my "performance," and its impression on the director, and my own egotism as an actor -- that's just me playing in fantasyland.

Stay in touch, ok? Keep writing in your blog, and have a great year at CU.

Kristin said...

Thank you for the chuckle this afternoon as I take a break from work. As someone who has actually stood in line at a permit counter, drawings in hand, the boredom was palpable. Can't wait to see your debut on the big screen.

-kristin

Rainier96 said...

Why thank you very much! Are you by any chance the Kristin I know in San Francisco, formerly of Petaluma?

Kristin said...

I am indeed that Kristin!