Saturday, September 15, 2007

Chalk


Once upon a time, I thought I might become a high school teacher. It's hard to understand how I ever got this remarkable idea, especially when you consider that it occurred to me while I was a high school student myself. Nothing I knew about either my teachers (with a couple of exceptions) or my fellow students should have led me to believe that I would enjoy teaching. I guess I liked history and math, and naively believed that it would therefore be fun to teach those subjects to kids.

Seeing the movie Chalk would have swept away any such illusions. I could have seen myself as Mr. Lowrey, a shy first-year history teacher, standing nervous and tongue-tied before a restless, giggling class.

Lots of movies show high school from the kids' perspectives. Chalk gives us the teachers' side. It follows Mr. Lowrey and three other teachers through a school year at an urban Texas high school. The film, co-written by two former teachers, uses the "mockumentary" format, and does it so realistically that I could easily believe it was a true documentary. The lines and action are spontaneous and unforced. These are not professional actors playing cute high school kids, brimming over with witty one-liners. The girls are usually obese and unattractive; the boys are pimply, in need of shaves, and sullen. Most of all, the students look desperately in need of sleep.

For the teachers, the school year is a wasteland of long days, hostile or indifferent students, conflicts among themselves and with the administration. A broken copier or a "stolen" stapler is enough to push them over the edge.

Nevertheless, each of the four featured teachers makes personal progress during the year, and each develops some rapport with his or her students. We are given to understand that some learning by the kids does occur during the year, although we never see how it happens. This is not a Hollywood movie. None of the teachers even faintly resembles Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society.

I left the movie with enormous respect for the underpaid and overworked teaching profession. Although the movie gave some reason to question the quality of the education that the teachers themselves had received, it is clear that even the less sympathetic of the teachers cared deeply about the students and about their profession.

My short-lived desire to be a teacher was not without idealism, but it was an idealism on behalf of the academic subjects that I thought I wanted to teach. But for the vast majority of real high school teachers, their devotion is to the kids themselves -- somehow, anyhow, begging, enticing and forcing them to learn the very basic information they will need for life after graduation. As Mr. Lowrey remarks, as his year in hell comes to a close, "teaching is hard work." It is also extremely valuable work that deserves far better compensation, and far more respect than it receives from the rest of us.

One half of all new teachers quit the profession within their first three years. This movie shows us why. It was left up in the air whether Mr. Lowrey would sign the contract offered him for his second year.

3 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

Very good movie (I watched it today, by the wonders of peer-to-peer sharing networks), and very good review!

I'm not sure whether I think teachers should be paid more. I those teachers who teach because they enjoy it and really want to help kids succeed deserve more money for it. But I also believe that if they were paid more, more people would get into it for the money, and that could only damage the education system.

Rainier96 said...

Thank you, sir! :-)

Well, I'm not sure the teachers' unions will be happy with your idea of holding down salaries to weed out new teachers who are just after the money. They might say, sure, let's limit doctors to $50,000 a year, too, and just have doctors who are devoted mainly to healing, not to driving Ferraris. And -- yikes! -- same for lawyers. But it's an interesting idea.

Colorada has about the same level of average teachers' pay as Washington -- around $45,000, slightly higher than the U.S. average. But I've read that starting salaries in Colorado, in some areas at least, are only around $23,000. If that's true, that means starting out just above the poverty level.

The problem, I think, is that the low wages for teachers also weeds out people who would be great teachers and would like to teach, but are smart enough to do other things that pay a lot more. No one's ever going to be rich teaching, but they should at least be able to raise their families on what they earn.

Just my first reaction to your idea, and it doesn't make much difference because I don't see where schools are going to get the money to pay salaries much higher in any event.

Rainier96 said...

PS -- I'm amazed you were able to find a bootlegged copy of the film so fast. It just opened in Seattle on Friday. Maybe it's been showing other places, though.

I'm also amazed you can download a whole movie. It took me a while just to download your one-minute presidential debate clip. But then I've got a computer powered by 3 hamsters running on an exercise wheel, and a dial up connection.