Monday, September 3, 2007

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory


Admittedly, I'm a fair-weather sports fan. I do usually keep my eye on my college football team, and the team of the U.W., where I went to law school. When those two meet each year, I cheer for the one with the brighter Bowl prospects. This year, they seem destined to fight for 9th and 10th place in the Pac-10, so it's all pretty much academic. (Although the Huskies' decisive win Friday night over Syracuse has caused a bit of a stir in the Seattle area.)

When the Seahawks catch fire, I get enthusiastic. The same with the Mariners. I long ago lost interest in the Sonics, win or lose, and await their imminent departure to a bright red state with equanimity.

I am thus very unlike my friend Pat, who's going to a Mariners' game with me next Monday. Pat follows his teams religiously, through thick and thin, win or lose, triumph or humiliation. If he lived anywhere near Chicago, he would be the archetypical Cubbies fan, a team of losers for which we both actually feel a certain sneaking fondness.

But this brief posting is about the Mariners. About two weeks ago, I mentioned that the Mariners didn't look all that impressive, but, even so, were only two games out of first place in the A.L.West, and were in the lead for the wild card in the play-offs. I also suggested that nothing good would come of anyone's being optimistic about their chances.

Fall down and worship me, for I foresee all, and I tell all.

Last night, the Mariners lost 6-4 to a mediocre Toronto team, concluding a 0-3 sweep. The hapless Seattle team has now lost nine (9) straight games during the crucial last month of the regular season. They have struggled downward to the point that they now are 6 1/2 games behind the Angels in the race for the division pennant. They have fallen 2 full games behind the Yankees in the fight for the wild card position, and would be in even worse shape if the Yankees themselves hadn't been bumbling around recently, losing a series in Tampa Bay.

Push comes to shove. The Mariners will butt heads with the Yankees in a few minutes at Yankee stadium. I won't be watching. I just plain can't bear it.

I'll be out somewhere hiking. I'll read the obituaries tomorrow!

2 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

Such a die-hard fan...

Rainier96 said...

Right. :P

And now I find out that -- after I wrote all that -- they beat NY 7-1 today!