Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Denny Shines at Santa Cruz


Competitors leap into the surf to begin the 1.5 km swim. Santa Cruz. 2003

Readers may recall my hope, plaintively expressed earlier, that I might at least keep Denny in sight during our Laotian biking in November. My hopes seem now to be squelched with finality.

Denny competed in the Santa Cruz Sentinel Triathlon on September 23, finishing the three part event in a total time of 2 hours, 42 minutes, 1 second. He finished 369th in a total field of 839 participants. He was competing in a much stronger field this time. His finish time would have ranked him 16th in the Kings Trail Triathlon on Maui, where he competed last June. His strongest event was the run, where he ran a 10k in 48:46, after having already completed a 1.5 km swim in the cold Northern California Pacific Ocean, and a 40 km bike ride!

I've exhausted myself, just writing about it. I'm no longer worried about whether I can keep up with Denny in Laos. I now realize what a truly high class worry that was. My concern now is the effect on my morale as I watch Denny ride circles around me, a grin on his face and casually chatting, as I pant slowly up the 35-mile incline!

Congratulations, Den! Great job. We're all proud of you!

No comments: