Saturday, September 1, 2007

"Quotes I Can't Improve On" Department


My favorite conservative magazine, The Economist of London, comes up with two zingers this week, both contained in the same leader discussing the departure of Alberto Gonzales:

It is hard, though, to think of [an attorney general] quite as supine as Mr. Gonzales. It is unclear whether the Democrats will prove that Mr. Rove bullied Mr. Gonzales into firing the federal prosecutors for political reasons. But the first Latino attorney-general will go down in history as the lawyer who sanctioned the deeply unAmerican side of Mr. Bush's war against terror -- the one where the Geneva Conventions are "quaint," torture is a matter of definition and Guantánamo Bay is just dandy.

And also:

One by one, the president's men are leaving: Donald Rumsfeld, Karl Rove and now Alberto Gonzales, the hapless attorney-general. The Democrats scent more expulsions, more Bushies yearning to spend time with their families. The Republicans talk of witch hunts. The image of George Bush tottering around an empty building -- empty, that is, except for mad old Uncle Dick in the cellar -- is hard to resist.

The Economist (Sept. 1-7, 2007)

10 comments:

Zachary Freier said...

I've never had a subscription to The Economist, but one of the captains of the Speech and Debate team last year had their articles scattered throughout her box of sources for extemporaneous speaking. They were some of my favorites to use. :D

Rainier96 said...

Yeah, it's a great magazine. It's got biases I disagree with, at least to a degree (laissez faire economics, skeptical of European unification, pro-Bush foreign policy). But it's up-front about its biases, and doesn't try to carry them to logical extremes. It assumes its readers are intelligent and curious about everything, not just business. Too bad Time and Newsweek don't try to copy some of its good points.

I think it's great that you know about it.

Rainier96 said...

P.S. -- Did you see your name and your YouTube question in the Rocky Mountain News?

Zachary Freier said...

Wow, that's really neat. :D

I was disappointed when my question didn't make the cut for the debate. I'm glad someone noticed. :P

P.S.: I did a google search for my name, and came across this transcript, apparently from a short segment on CNN 5 days before the debates, featuring some of the possible questions. Mine's on it! AND I MISSED THE SEGMENT!

Rainier96 said...

Gosh, it would be awful if your life's 15 minutes of fame happened and you didn't even know it was happening! :D

Zachary Freier said...

Freaking John King did the analysis on my video clip and a few others about government corruption. He's like...one of the top reporters on CNN, which happens to be my favorite news source. >_<

Zachary Freier said...

Bill Schneider and John Roberts were also part of it. I can't believe I missed it. X_x

Rainier96 said...

Poor Zach! :-((

Sometimes you can get a video of a past show from the TV station. You might drop them an email or letter (or call) and ask. It would be a great souvenir.

Rainier96 said...

Or from CNN, I mean. They would still have it, and probably will sell you the video.

Rainier96 said...

"TO ORDER A VIDEO OF THIS TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE CALL 800-CNN-NEWS OR USE OUR SECURE ONLINE ORDER FORM LOCATED AT www.voxant.com"

This was at the bottom of your transcript!!!!